SOLVED Mid 2010 macbook (white) issues.

Reaction score
I recently acquired this macbook and it had Sierra ready to be installed, it had El Capitan and ran great. The issue I'm having is it was upgraded to Sierra and it is very boggy... slow and jerky I would love to go back to El Capitan but cannot seem to find it, I have gone back to Lion which the Mac was originally installed and it seems to be working well. However support is nearly non existent for this operating system. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reaction score
Have you been making backups to an external device? That is ALWAYS so, so critical!

Reaction score
OK< what software are you using for your backups? If it's Time Machine, you will need to attempt and obtain El Capitan, OS 10.11.6, from the App Store, which would be free. If you acquired the Macbook from another individual (thus it was used), not sure about which OS you can obtain from the App Store, as Apple has some specific policies about such an upgrade. I'm thinking, though, that given Lion was on the machine when you got it, you should be able to get El Capitan. No matter which OS you get, before you install it, make a copy of the downloaded file you'll get when you download El Capitan from the App Store.

By the way, how did you get toLion? Did you just "write over" Sierra, or did you do an Erase and Format of your internal drive, then a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of Lion?

Reaction score
I recently acquired this macbook and it had Sierra ready to be installed, it had El Capitan and ran great. The issue I'm having is it was upgraded to Sierra and it is very boggy... slow and jerky I would love to go back to El Capitan but cannot seem to find it, I have gone back to Lion which the Mac was originally installed and it seems to be working well. However support is nearly non existent for this operating system. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I upgraded my iMac from Lion to Yosemite and I loved that. However, I accepted a free upgrade to El Capitan and regretted it afterward because I could no longer run SheepShaver, the open-source OS 9 emulator. I have Yosemite on an identical MacBook to yours (mid-2010) and I'm not about to take it any further up the ladder because of my need for Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7, InDesign and Acrobat Pro (among others).

Go to the App Store and click the Purchase tab. There's a possibility you can download a previous OS to Sierra if you purchased it there or even downloaded it free as an upgrade.

Reaction score
I have Yosemite on an identical MacBook to yours (mid-2010) and I'm not about to take it any further up the ladder because of my need for Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7, InDesign and Acrobat Pro (among others).

I certainly understand why some folks are reluctant to upgrade to a newer version of the Mac OS. But one thing I want to state is that my version of Acrobat Pro, V10.1.16, still works fine with the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6. I have some other "legacy" apps that still work fine.

Reaction score
I certainly understand why some folks are reluctant to upgrade to a newer version of the Mac OS. But one thing I want to state is that my version of Acrobat Pro, V10.1.16, still works fine with the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.6. I have some other "legacy" apps that still work fine.

How do you get PowerMac legacy apps to run on an Intel Mac without an emulation program??? I'd almost kill to learn that trick!

I tried to download an older utility that was intended for OS X 10.4.11 a few months ago. When I transferred the file to my G4 MDD, the icon had the circle/slash icon superimposed on it and it wouldn't work. Likewise, I've transferred files from the G4 MDD to my iMac and MacBook, only to get the aforementioned circle/slash symbol on top of the icon.

Reaction score
How do you get PowerMac legacy apps to run on an Intel Mac without an emulation program??? I'd almost kill to learn that trick!

I tried to download an older utility that was intended for OS X 10.4.11 a few months ago. When I transferred the file to my G4 MDD, the icon had the circle/slash icon superimposed on it and it wouldn't work. Likewise, I've transferred files from the G4 MDD to my iMac and MacBook, only to get the aforementioned circle/slash symbol on top of the icon.

I did not mean "PowerMac legacy apps". Also, many such apps should have upgrades to Intel versions. However, I certainly understand that there are some older apps which were never upgraded.

Reaction score
I did not mean "PowerMac legacy apps". Also, many such apps should have upgrades to Intel versions. However, I certainly understand that there are some older apps which were never upgraded.
I stand corrected. However, to upgrade my favorite PowerMac apps, I'd have to "lease" licenses from Adobe (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Acrobat Pro), and given all the ridiculous amounts of money I've paid them over the years simply for upgrades and not counting what the original software cost me, I'll be damned if I give Adobe another thin dime, especially to "rent" software. I've been searching for Adobe Creator Suite CS-3 or 4, which I understand was the last time Adobe put software on disks. Either of those should work on my Intel Macs.

I'm still quite fond of Pagemaker, but Adobe abandoned it, and it took quite a while for me to become accustomed to InDesign. But the version I have sometimes does strange things to Pagemaker files when I import them for editing or updating.

Ask a Question