MacBook Pro Mid 2010 battery issues

Reaction score
Hello and Happy sunday!
i purchases a used MBP frm a friend, it worked great, however i wanted to upgrade it to the 500GB that was in my current Macbook as i began unscrewing the back it began to lift on its own, whn i got the complete back off i noticed that the battery had expanded pressing the cover up, i have replace the battery with a third party battery and have noticed that everytime i turn on my MBP i have to conform the date and time, and it also starts run funny and shuts down at 30%, and whn i place on charger and reboot it states its at 5% battery.... i am inquiring what would cause the battery issues?

Reaction score
Third party batteries have been known to cause issues. As one would expect, some are fine, some are not. What particular one did you purchase?

Reaction score
it was on off amazon the following is the complete ad title...
"Novelty New Laptop Battery For Apple MacBook Pro 13'' A1278 A1322 (2009 2010 2011 Version)Series,fit 661-5229 661-5557 020-6547-A MB991LL/A MC724LL/A [10.95V 63.5Wh Li-Polymer]"

Reaction score
Yeah, I was able to see that particular one advertised on Amazon. Also, a google search did not turn up anything negative about the brand you purchased.

It's difficult, at best, as to whether there is something wrong with the machine, or if the battery you purchased went bad so quickly. I did have one Apple battery on an older Mac laptop go bad like yours did, ie, expanding, and I purchased a new Apple replacement battery. It worked fine.

You might need to take the machine to an Apple Store and have them look at it. They should be able to tell you if it's just the battery that needs replacing.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I would lean towards the battery as well. Inexpensive non-Apple replacement batteries that cost 1/4 to 1/5 of a genuine battery aren't manufactured to the same specifications as the true Apple batteries.

Since you have to reset the date & time constantly, it shuts off prematurely, and shows very fast and low charge percentages, it sounds as if it is already failing, or the printed specifications aren't accurate.

The best advice is to take the MacBook Pro to an Apple Store. They can run a full hardware diagnostic on the Mac, the battery, and the AC adapter to isolate the issue.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, i wanted post an update that since i have posted here originally, i havent seen to many issues, i havent had to reset the time, and it is not shutting off til the normal 5% i do still plan to take your advice and take it to apple and get a complete over all. again thank you so much for your advice!

Ask a Question