Keyboard not working properly on Imac 2010

Reaction score
like the title says I turned it on one and and the keyboard doesn't work. I thought well maybe its just the keyboard since it is old. I tried my hardly used wireless keyboard and still nothing. I searched online and found to hold down ALT-opt, P_R to reset and that somewhat worked, but the number keys still dont work as well as ther Z,A,Q keys still dont. I can't log into the desktop because my password has..yep you guessed it the Letter A in it. Any help is greatly appreciated because I have been struggling with this problem for the better part of 2 weeks now.

i have an imac 2010 with yosemtie im not sure the version.

Reaction score
This might help.

To use the onscreen keyboard included in Mac OS X:
  1. Choose Apple, System Preferences, Language & Text.
  2. Select the Input Sources pane and check the box next to Keyboard & Character Viewer.
  3. To use the onscreen keyboard, select the Keyboard & Character Viewer icon on the status menu and choose Show Keyboard Viewer.

Reaction score
I would but I am unable to log into the desktop lol. Since my password starts with an A and thats one of the keys not working.

Reaction score
Ya I have tried several different keyboards. my old usb one doesn't work at all. my friends has the same issues as my wireless. is there any short cut to do a factory reset? I tried the one I found but it didn't work. I cant even sign in as a guest because it doesn't give me an option too

Reaction score
This is really starting to annoy me because I am 5 seconds away from throwing this thing across the room/. I got into the recovery but apple asks for my id and guess what I can't type the damn @ symbol to log in........

Reaction score
Found this advice, don't if if it will work but worth a try.

Apple’s USB keyboards come with a USB extension cord that increase the reach of the included USB cord. Try plugging your keyboard into one end of this cord and the other into your computer. If you don’t have a USB extension cord, you can also use a USB hub.

No one seems to know why this is so effective, but it often works!

Ask a Question