certain keys stopped working on keyboard

Reaction score
The ~ 2wsx and brightness adjust keys stopped working on my keyboard of my macbook pro.
Now I know I caused it to happen but I am unsure how, and if it's possible to fix it..I had recently took off the back cover to insert some new ram, but the new ram got jammed in half way I was told by the genius bar the only way to get it unjammed was take the logic board out. So I followed the steps of how to take out the logic board on ifixit. Including the keyboard ribbon..there were a few issues.. and I was what I thought to be very careful..
After I screwed all the screws back in the only issue I found was with the keyboard.
The issue with the keyboard ribbon was I made a little crack in the holder above where the ribbon goes in..Could this be the reason those certain keys stopped working?
Also what are my solutions?
one of those characters is in my password so I can't even log on to the computer.. so at least I need a solution for that.

Here is a photo I made little red circles in the areas I know I damaged...
2ql7lsg.jpg
As I was trying to figure out how to lift it out a small part above the connectors cracked a little bit..

Thank you for any help you can provide..

Additional question.. the computer is under a year old..if I get it fixed by apple using the warranty and tell them no information on how it was broken and I put the original ram back in.. would they claim that I voided the warranty and refuse to fix it? one of the screws heads holding the battery was stripped from me trying to take out the screws holding it in..

Reaction score
My advise is be honest, go to Apple tell them what happened and see what they say.

They will fix it, but maybe not under warranty.

Sorry, but there are no user serviceable parts within the computer and it does void the warranty to open them up. Personally I think sites like ifixit are stupid as they give people the idea that these jobs can be done, when often there is an extremely high risk of damage.

Sorry, I can see any other way of getting it fixed.

Reaction score
well I took it to apple and decided to not tell them that I most likely messed it up voiding the warrenty.

So they fixed it by replacing the logic board. I dunno if there would have been a simpler fix or not though..

I still had warrenty so I wasn't charged anything. So now everything works.. I was able to correctly insert the ram this time and my mac is as good as new.

In the process of trying to take my logic board out I shredded the head of one of the screws, and also damaged the connecter for the sound woofer... but now the scews were replaced and also I assume the connecter for the sound woofer is fixed it being a new logic board and all.

Ask a Question