keyboard working but not found by bluetooth & no battery status display

Reaction score
Imac 2008 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X El Capitan 10.11.3
computer to genius bar 3/9/16 cleaned up & checked out ok. my original keyboard & mouse not working so well so replaced with magic mouse & keyboard. using 5 weeks. yesterday computer sluggish in responding to mouse.
checked system preferences/mouse & battery 44% so I recharged. so far seems to be ok.
I also checked system preferences/ keyboard & discovered there is no battery status display. I went to bluetooth & it says
"no keyboard found be sure battery is installed properly & its turned on" this in spite of the fact that the keyboard is working fine & no way I can check a battery as its a closed system factory installed battery. I charged it anyway just in case it might be the cause. this morning rechecked & still no blue tooth connection recognized & no battery status however the keyboard is working fine.
I'm concerned because I don't want to run out of the 90 day period & find out too late to do anything.
What do I do now? thank you

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-You could try updating to 10.11.4.
-Did you purchase the new Magic Mouse 2 and new Magic Keyboard?
-Do you have a wired keyboard/mouse you can use for troubleshooting?

C

Reaction score
#1 was the answer. didn't realize I did not have the latest update. It corrected the issue. I did purchase the new Magic Mouse & new magic keyboard. Old ones probably wouldn't have been much help for troubleshooting as I replaced them because they appeared to be wearing out & working inconsistently. All is working well with the update.
In future my first go to will be to check & see if any updates I have missed. thank you

Reaction score
Glad you got your issue resolved, dennyclark. For finding out if updates are available for software, you can try the following:

1. For Apple updates, typically you should get some kind of "alert" about updates available from the App Store.

2. For quite a few third party software applications, under the first menu title just to the right of the black Apple symbol (typically, it's the name of the application), there is a "Check For Updates" choice. Also, when there are updates available, the software typically offers you the choice to upgrade then. Even if one does that, it is still wise to get the actual updater file itself.

3. The site www.macnn.com is about the best I've seen regarding any information about updates, and especially for the Mac OS. A couple of other sites I visit on a daily basis are:

www.macworld.com
www.macupdate.com

They are not bad resources, but do not download any updates from www.macupdate.com. In fact, for any software update, it is best to go to the source, ie, the developer's/program's site to download updates.

4. For updates within the same Mac OS (ie, like the OS 10.11.4 made recently available), you have 3 ways of getting it:

a. Get the full OS 10.11.4 version from the App store.
b. Get the "delta" update from https:support.apple.com.
c. Get the "combo" update from https:support.apple.com.

Myself, I always get the Combo updater.

Reaction score
You're welcome. One other thing I forgot to mention regarding third party software (I don't use much Apple software) is that when you launch the software, it will typically let you know about an update being available.

Last edited:

Ask a Question