SOLVED Keyboard partially not working

Reaction score
MAC OSX 10.7.5 (Lion) For many years I have used a full keyboard (that is, one with the 'extra' sets of keys on the right hand side) connected by USB cable to the computer. Suddenly, as of yesterday, several keys on the 'extended' (right hand) portion of my keyboard are not communicating with the computer: specifically the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rows, starting from the top. These keys are in constant need when using Sibelius (music notation application) but now they only work when mouse-clicked on the Sibelius display itself. Depressing these keys manually has no effect. This is the current state of a problem that first showed up about 24 hours ago, at which time NONE of the keys, in ANY application, worked. After a re-start, the main keys (typewriter portion) "worked" but only in so far as they displayed characters not used in English but apparently from a variety of foreign languages (Greek, mainly). After several more re-starts and attempted remedies, the keyboard is now working at least well enough for me to be typing this message, but the keys on the 'extended' portion, referenced above, are still inoperable. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Can you test the keyboard with a different computer or another keyboard with this computer, you need to see if the fault travels with the keyboard.​
If it does than there is nothing to be done, buy a new keyboard.​
If the problem is also there when you use a different keyboard the problem lies in your computer an I'd do an install in place.​
note, if its the software drivers becoming corrupted then it may be the Hard drive failing so ensure you have a full backup of your files!!!​

Reaction score
Can you test the keyboard with a different computer or another keyboard with this computer, you need to see if the fault travels with the keyboard.​
If it does than there is nothing to be done, buy a new keyboard.​
If the problem is also there when you use a different keyboard the problem lies in your computer an I'd do an install in place.​
note, if its the software drivers becoming corrupted then it may be the Hard drive failing so ensure you have a full backup of your files!!!​

Reaction score
Thanks Kaveman,

I just happened to have an extra keyboard hanging around from my old Mac mini, which I hooked up to my current iMac, and now everything is working fine. Apparently, as you suggested, the problem was with the keyboard itself and not, thankfully, the hard drive. I always back up everything as a matter of habit, but still...it's a lot easier replacing a keyboard than dealing with major hard drive wonkiness.

Ask a Question