Keyboard Shortcut For Dark Mode (Mojave) ?

Reaction score
Hello,

Just updated to Mojave.

I like Dark Mode, Wife doesn't.

So having a keyboard shortcut for fast switching between these two modes
sounds like a good idea.

But,

I found the instructions for doing it in several places, but I have no Dark mode option
showing per the last step "at the bottom of the list"? Do you folks have it ? Or,...?

--Creating the Keyboard Shortcut. Open System Preferences, click on Keyboards, then go to the Shortcuts tab. Click on Services, and look for Dark Mode at the bottom of the list. Make sure the box next to Dark Mode is checked, and click on Add Shortcut. Jun 1 --

Bob

Reaction score
I used Automator to do this.

1. Open Automator from the Applications folder in Finder.
2. Click New document.
3. Click Application.
4. Click Utilities in the Library list and then double click Change system appearance.
5. File > Save as, Choose suitable name and choose Desktop as the Where to save.
Double clicking the icon will toggle Dark/Light mode.

Reaction score
Man, Lufbrarunner, you are the Automator guru! I already followed your steps for creating the Automator task to quit all applications, and it works like a charm. I will have to try and remember this one when I upgrade to Mojave (actually given that I have been testing Mojave on an external SSD, I can try it there).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Lufbrarunner,

Your dark mode switcher works just great.
Just what I, and I imagine a zillion others, want and need.
Thanks so much for making available.

Still can't get the close all running apps to work, though through the Automator.
If you get a minute, might you itemize the steps in detail for me (that old age thing) like you did for the dark mode switcher ?

Must be doing something wrong, but cannot imagine what.

Thanks, and best regards,
Bob

Reaction score
Hoping Lufbrarunner doesn't mind, here are the steps from his post on that other thread:

1. Go to Applications and open Automator.
2. Click New Document, click Application.
3. Scroll down to Quit all applications and double click.
4. Save to desktop as something like Quit_All.app

Then just double click the icon when you want to quit all open apps.

The 'bold" part about double click is my emphasis. I actually forgot to do that when II followed those steps on my Mac Book Air (did follow them EXACTLY, including the double click, on my Mac Mini). But when I did it again, making sure to do the double click, it worked.

One other thing is that on Automator's list, there are choices for Quit All Applications, and Quit Application. As per his instructions, make sure to choose the one entitled Quit All Applications.

Reaction score
Hi,

Much thanks.
Works now.

Funny, I couldn't get it to work when i was using high sierra, but with Mojave
now, it worked just fine.

BTW: Any way to change the picture on an Automator icon ?
Don't want two similar looking icons in the Dock, and already have an Automator
icon for switching Dark mode on and off in the dock

Thanks again,
Bob

Reaction score
Mine works fine with High Sierra, on both of my Macs.

I actually have its icon on my desktop, and given how clean I keep my desktop, it is definitely not cluttered. Also, I actually quit each application when I am done using it, so not sure how often I will use it. But it's there.

Ask a Question