Keyboard Shortcuts Nonexistent?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'd like to preface by saying that I have, until two days ago, never owned an Apple product. It's not like I hate Mac hardware or OS really, it's just that I've always used and been familiar with Windows. That being said, I'm sorry if the issues I'm having are just super entry-level steps I'm not doing right.

So, I bought a used Macbook Pro (15in, early-2011 running Sierra 10.12.5), and I can't seem to get my keyboard shortcuts to work. I have the laptop on a stand and am using a Logitech G910 usb keyboard for future reference (however, these shortcuts don't seem to be working on the machine's native keyboard either), so forgive me for listing non-mac keystrokes as well. I have managed to get a couple basic ones working via System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts, such as ctrl+C for copy, but others such as ctrl+Q and ctrl+alt+esc do not work. I feel like those basic shortcuts should've been listed amongst the other toggle-able shortcuts on the Preferences menu, but they are not, which is why I started adding them. I have already remapped my usb keyboard's ctrl to serve as the command key, but I'm puzzled as to how it could do its job as a command key sometimes (like when successfully executing a Copy) but not others (like when trying to quit an application)...

Thoughts?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Basically, "automatic" Windows-to-Mac keyboard equivalents:
Ctrl = Control
Alt = Option
Windows = Command
Backspace = Delete
Enter = Return

Unless the Logitech has special software, or a non-standard mapping, the keys above should work automatically without having to remap anything. The built-in MBP keyboard may have Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys enabled in System Preferences... > Keyboard, which will cause some not to function properly.

See if that helps at all,

C

Ask a Question