Problem with keyboard shortcuts

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just got my brand new macbook pro - used to have a macbook pro 2012 gen.

There's 2 shortcuts I use(d) on my old macbook pro on a regular basis that I can't seem to setup on my new mac.

1. Left Alt + f2 => show desktop. I tried setting it but right now everytime I just hit alt my computer goes in show desktop mode. This is quite annoying since I also use alt to highlight a word, and also for my other fav. keyboard shortcut;
2. Left Alt + zoom => zoom into the spot where my cursor is pointed at.

When I'm in keyboard shortcuts I restored the settings to default (see attachment) but the alt => show desktop problem persists.

Eager to hear if someone can help me.

M.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.32.31.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.32.31.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.32.48.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.32.48.png
    257.8 KB · Views: 302

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry we didn't reply sooner - glad you figured it out though!

We're here if you need us,

C

Reaction score
Hey C,

Actually I didn't really fix it.

I used karabiner to make my left alt function as cmd key, which made it stop going in to desktop mode. But now I'm missing some other functions I used to use my left alt for (creating a euro sign, ^'s, ¨'s, highlighting one word etc.). Right now I have to use my right alt which is definitely a pain in the ass first world probem :-D

Any chance you can help me?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries.

You probably have to enable  > System Preferences... > Keyboard > Keyboard > Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys for that to work. You will have to press the Fn key to use the special key functions (printed on the function keys) by doing that however.

C

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Cory.

The reason I used Karabiner to make my alt key function as a cmd key is that my left alt is linked to desktop mode, which I really don't want. I can't find a way to make this link dissapear.

Any ideas?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
-Are you still using/do you still want to use Karabiner?
-You don't want the Left Alt key to invoke Show Desktop?
-What other custom remapping are you doing?

C

Reaction score
Hey Cory,

-Are you still using/do you still want to use Karabiner? No i don't care about Karabiner
-You don't want the Left Alt key to invoke Show Desktop? No, i want alt + f2 to invoke Show Desktop, other than that left alt should be having the same functions as a regular left alt key
-What other custom remapping are you doing? none

Ask a Question