Mac Pro, keyboard & startup problems

Reaction score
Early-2009 Mac Pro
Mac keyboard
Two different mouse set-ups: the white mac one and a Logitec DarkField.
Set up into USB hub.

I am getting kernel panics upon start up for several days now. I was able to get start up by replacing keyboard with an ancient one. Once started, I could go back to mac board and Logitech. Upon start up the next day, same thing happened. One spinning message was "can't connect to bluetooth" but I don't have a bluetooth keyboard. It is hardwired. I did go into systems and turned off bluetooth on one of my attempts to solve.

Changed connection of keyboard from USB hub to back of 30" monitor. Logitech works. I suspect though upon restart it will all fail again.

My overall system is a 2005 set up, with the mac pro purchased in 2009 replacing a G5. I am assuming the keyboard came with the 2009 Mac Pro but I could be wrong and it was a 2005 board. Logitech was purchased separately and I don't recall the year.

Since using the white mac mouse doesn't solve the start up issues, I am guessing the keyboard should be replaced. I've done all the usual Onyx type of systems checks.

El Capitan is the highest OS I can have installed.

Advice?

Reaction score
Need to know some more information:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do a good amount of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs out there (both free and not free) that can help you.

2. Are you making backups to an external device? That is critical.

3. What third party products do you have? Do you have the laterts versions of each that are compatible with El Capitan?

4. What version of El Capitan do you have?

I use two Logitech Mice (Model M310 with my Mac Mini, and Model M325 with my MacBook Air), and I have the latest, Sierra-compatible version of the Logitech Control Center software. They work fine. And I have an Apple keyboard with my Mac Min, and it works fine also.

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

1)Yes, a do a monthly run of Onyx, which I did after this all started.
2)Yes, I do weekly Time Machine backups.
And, all my client files are worked on using an external HD, which I have set up to back up nightly to a second HD after day's work is done.
3) Third party products: That would be a long list, but I do try to keep up to date. Major muscle is Dreamweaver 6, Illy 5.5, Photoshop 5.1, Indesign 6. I rarely use Word, but do use Excel. Quickbooks. Lots of others; too many to list, but I do watch for updates.
4) 10.11.6
5) Logitech has been my go-to-mouse forever.

I suspect it is the keyboard. I will try to restart tonight after work is done, again. This morning's method was to replace the Logitech with the mac mouse but no joy. More tests to come.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
OK... decision made. I ordered a new USB keyboard (mac, best buy, $49) and will not shut down until it gets here in a few days. I will report back in case it helps someone else later.

Reaction score
Well, it seems like you have just about all your "bases" covered. One other recommendation (probably would not help you with a keyboard issue) is to also use a product like Tech Tool Pro, in conjunction with Onyx. I have been using the two of them (along with doing a good amount of daily disk cleanup on my own, and SuperDuper! for backups), and my Macs have just about been trouble free the entire time.

Reaction score
Yep... have used Tech Tool in past... and Mac Optimizer. And my 2 externals use SuperDuper nightly.

Reaction score
I think it is just a 2005 keyboard death spiral but I will report back after Friday.

One new bit of information: When I was trying to find model number on keyboard, I lifted it to see underneath and lost mouse functions. Did the whole plug/unplug usb link and regained. So I am pretty sure it is a bad keyboard.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question