Keyboard Shortcut Problem

Reaction score
I created a keyboard shortcut to toggle between items in the input menu. It works in all applications I’ve tried so far except Safari. (I’m using Safari 9.1.3 with Mavericks OS.) The keyboard shortcut is option-command-period. I noticed that this shortcut changes the “To:” line in a Gmail message to “Recipients” but it does not appear in any of the Safari menus. The shortcut doesn’t work even if I don’t have Gmail open in Safari. Does anyone know how to disable this shortcut in Safari so I can use it in the input menu when Safari is the foremost application?

Thank you for your help.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Have you tried using Google Chrome with Gmail and this shortcut?
-Is the shortcut listed in  > System Preferences... > Keyboard > Shortcuts?
-Which input menu are you referring to that the command works with?

C

Reaction score
Per your advice I tried the shortcut with Chrome and then with Firefox. It works with both of those browsers but not with Safari. Unfortunate because I much prefer using Safari. The input menu I’m referring to is the one with the American flag icon that is used to show the character viewer and the keyboard viewer. I use Spell Catcher, which can be turned off and on via the input menu, but I have to turn on Spell Catcher when switching back to the Mac OS from Windows (via Parallels Desktop) which turns it off whenever I’m in it. Thus my need for the keyboard shortcut to save me from having to open the input menu with the mouse. When I’m using Windows I often jump back and forth between the two OS’s. Since I most often go to my Mac browser from Windows (I don’t use any more apps in Windows than I absolutely have to) I might try using Chrome or Firefox for some of my browser needs.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Ask a Question