Keyboard input problems

Reaction score
I have a strange problem, the number pad on my Apple aluminium extended keyboard only functions on the initial login screen. Whenever I tried to enter numbers in any window, in any programme it just does nothing I have to access the numbers on the top rank of the keyboard. This is only started to happen after I reinstalled Mac OS Sierra, have I missed a button that activates the number pad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

teapot

Reaction score
First, I also have an Apple Extended keyboard, Model A1243, EMC N0. 2171, that I use with my Mac Mini, and everything is fine. I am using the latest version of Sierra, OS 10.12.5. Are you using that same version?

Also, how exactly did you upgrade the Mac OS? That is, did you just do an upgrade "in place", ie, having Sierra overwrite what Mac OS was already there? Myself, for the last four Mac OS upgrades, I did a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of the newer Mac OS. For example, when I went from the last version of El Capitan to the second version of Sierra, OS 10.12.1 (two of my applications were not upgraded when the initial release of Sierra came out), being that I had a backup (you are making backups to an external device, correct?), I launched each of my Macs from their respective SuperDuper! backups, used Disk Utility there to Erase and Format my internal drive (SSDs in my case), proceeded with a clean, fresh installation of OS 10.12.1, and then used Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from the backup. All of that worked like a charm.

One other thing: if you have any third party applications, did you insure that they are compatible with Sierra? In some cases, one might need to get updates from the third party's company. I know that is what I needed to do for 6 critical third party apps I use.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply honestone I have tried another keyboard in another USB port with the same result. I am using a completely fresh installation of 10.12 and I think I will do s fresh install later this evening. It's an irritating problem which I deduce must be software in origin because I have another keyboard which manifests the same problem so I think a fresh install of the operating system, hopefully, will cure it.
Again many thanks for your response.
Teapot

Reaction score
Please explain "I am using a completely fresh installation of 10.12". Again, did you do the steps like I did, ie, use Disk Utility to Erase and Format your internal drive, then perform the clean, fresh installation of Sierra (OS 10.12.5)?

Reaction score
One other thing is that if you go ahead with a fresh, clean installation of Sierra (OS 10.12.5), make sure you have a complete backup first.

Ask a Question