Keyboard, Trackpad, USB port problem

Reaction score
Macbook Air 2009. Running Lion.

Was working fine until the cursor and keyboard just stopped responding. Rebooting fixed it for 10 minutes or so, but the next time, rebooting didn't work. Tried plugging in an external mouse also didn't work. Both times I used the power button to force shutdown.

I found that (it might be coincidence, but I've replicated it a few times) if I plug in an external mouse before turning the mac on, I get about 30 seconds of USB port, Keyboard and Trackpad functionality, before all 3 just die again.

I've been able to log in, the system is still running as the clock updates the time, but I have no way of input after 30 seconds. Closing / opening the lid has only worked once, where the trackpad came back to life, but the keyboard remained. Again, it lasted for around 30 seconds. I can still use ctrl + alt + shift + power button to instantly power off.

Sometimes the bluetooth setup assistant opens itself and the broken bluetooth icon appears in the tray. I don't use bluetooth devices.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Plugging in a USB mouse before power on DOES 100% get me 30 seconds of functionality of the Keyboard, Trackpad and USB port. I have downloaded Wifi Mouse on my iPhone, download the software on another PC and transfer it to a USB drive.

In my 30 seconds I was able to log in, switch the USB mouse with the USB drive, copy and install the Wifi Mouse software and get it linked with my iPhone, which i'm now using as a mouse and keyboard. It's not ideal, but enough to backup some files onto a cloud server, if this mac needs replacing.

The built in isight camera is also not recognized by the mac. Photo Booth says "No camera connected"

Is there any commands I could try now that I actually have an input method?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This sounds like a hardware fault, take it to an AppleCare Serve Centre near you.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. If it is hardware, how come the keyboard, USB port and trackpad all function for a limited time after booting and how come I can use this ctrl + alt + shift + power button command when the keys don't otherwise function. I'd agree it seems to be hardware related but I don't understand why the devices would work at all.

The parts affected are the USB port, Bluetooth, Keyboard and Trackpad. Would I need a new logic board?

It is not under warranty or anything.

Last edited:

Ask a Question