OOOpppsss.....keyboard and trackpad messed up HELP!!

Reaction score
Alright so i'm not really sure how I did it but i was up late studying for a chemistry exam and somehow got water ( a very small amount ) on my keyboard and trackpad of my iBook G4 and thought that I got it all off. I shut the computer down and let it dry as well and took the keyboard out and checked it to make sure I got it all. Well now this morning upon turning it on and trying to log onto my user name a random selection of the keys aren't working (the D row column and the R column just to name a few) luckily I have a mouse and keyboard from an old imac that works on this but that is very cumbersome when traveling and going to class. If anyone has any suggestions short of replacing the computer or replacing the keyboard and trackpad ( i can't imagine the keyboard would be bad but figure the trackpad could lead to be a pain ) I have a backup PC (well actually its brand new ) and don't really want to have to buy a new mac but this could lead to a great reason to have to buy a new one although i would like to wait 6 more months....thanks in advance everyone.

Andy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Andy,

depending on how wet it got it may take quite a few days to dry out.

Try helping it along with a hairdryer (on low heat !)

Did you unplug the keyboard cable ? if you did make sure that you have 'seated' it back in it's slot correctly.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
how would I unplug the keyboard cable...i just lifted the keyboard and dried underneath it and didn't actually disconnect the cable....the only thing that worries me is that only certain keys aren't working??? could that be permanent or with drying should it come back to normal>

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

There should be no need to disconnect the cable... I wasn't sure from your post whether you had or not, and if it had been unplugged the ribbon cable can sometimes be tricky to get it back in correct, and can result in certain keys not working.

The water will have got between the contacts, normally drying out will fix this but it can take some time !

I'll try and find a pic of where the water will have gone too !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
well after days of drying most of the keys are working...but the D, E, F, R volume up and down and a column on the other side that I can't recall aren't working. I am assuming that I am going to need a new keyboard, only downside is they are EXPENSIVE everywhere I have seen them, (to the tune of 125 US$ ) so does anyone know a website where i could find one for cheaper or possibly one off of a broken mac that is being parted out....can't afford 100 + for a replacement keyboard right now, but would love to have my mac back up and running without a iMac keyboard hooked to it :-(....

Ask a Question