keyboard+trackpad BUT NOT THE FREEZING PRBLM plz help

Reaction score
I joined this forum hoping to get some help with a major problem I'm experiencing with an Air running Mavericks that I only got like 3 weeks ago. Today, my keyboard and trackpad started going bonkers; every click acts as a right-click (or control-click), the keyboard became unresponsive but ONLY the letter keys, and other abilities I had applied to the trackpad such as swiping became very fidgity. I tried opening the window of the keyboard, no response from that either. I'm like 99% sure I didn't do anything to make this happen, it just started on its own, and while the computer was active, not like after being woken up or anything. Other than a couple hot-corners i changed weeks ago, i havent touched system preferences, and upon checking through that found no general alternative typing modes or anything like that. all sections of system preferences yielded no results.

Having read about Mavericks' freezing input issue, I did what most of those posts said they did to at least temporarily resolve the issue, which was to restart. But the problem persists, EVEN OUTSIDE ANY ACCOUNT. i cant get back into my admin account; characters appear when i type in the password (despite the keyboard's letters being unresponsive inside an account), and hitting the enter key creates a character (i also found that the ESC key creates a character now too). i tried to use the mouse to gain access instead of the return key (i discovered that holding down Shift makes the clicking FOR THE MOST PART go back to normal) and was then told that my password was wrong! even though it definitely isnt. in Guest mode, the alternative keyboard layouts resolved nothing, and in any case even were i to change anything in guest mode how would i apply it outside that account?? why in the world is whatever's happened happening outside all accounts, why isnt the computer starting up applying normal default responsiveness?? the bottom line is, the computer has become virtually unusable.

my brother gave me this computer, it is relatively new, he doesnt know whats going on, and neither of us are greenthumbs to Apple, which means the culprit is almost certainly Mavericks. I couldn't find anything on google about a similar problem, with Mavericks or any other OSX, closest thing is just the thing people were having with everything freezing, but not just it deciding to go wonky like this. Please someone tell me they know what's going on, I refuse to believe that after 3 weeks this Air is already a paperweight, for what seems to be literally no reason. I'm sure a couple of you will just tell me to reformat but I'd like to avoid the problem in the future if possible. I'm sorry if this isnt eloquent but im exhausted from pulling my hair out trying to fix it for hours. im really hoping one of you will tell me that i somehow just put it in some weird typing mode or something, but i'm not that lucky. anyway please help, and thank you in advance for your time.

Reaction score
Please tell me the above response does not represent the level of technical knowledge I can expect from this forum. Do you honestly think that's helpful dude? Do you think I forgot that applecare exists or something? I was trying to be nice about it when I said "I'm sure a couple of you will just tell me to reformat", let me put it another way: if whatever response you have to my query requires zero amounts of thought on your part, please waste zero amounts of our time by keeping it to yourself.

Reaction score
Hi,

If as you say this is a new Mac then I feel Kavemans response was both correct and polite.:) Any Mac under 12 months old should be returned ASAP if faults develop as with any other Apple product.

No new unit should portray the symptoms you describe.:(

Reaction score
The only Mac's I've seen with these symptoms have had liquid spilt in them, maybe thats why you don't want to take it to Apple and are so ansy.

Reaction score
if something funny starts happening to your car, do you need to be reminded by anyone that a mechanic might be able to fix it? actually, hold that thought, kuz after reading some of the threads on this site i'm beginning to wonder if any of u r even old enough to drive. i was obviously mistaken by the level of knowledge of computers possessed by the members of this forum now that i'm looking at other posts and seeing topics like "what is disk warrior" and "no audio from quicktime" and the downright frightening number of posts that begin with something along the lines of "i'm just now popping my mac cherry". i was hoping someone would at least tell me which conflicting extensions to delete in the cmmnd-line in safe mode after establishing remote access using hopefully-finally-cracked mavericks root permissions, so that i could at the very least just get back into my admin account, as if thats asking so much, but it's obvious i've come to the wrong place & that probably none of u even understand what i just wrote. go help someone turn off spotlight or whatever novice 101 crap that is obviously the day-to-day around here. unless anyone has anything to say that even remotely rises above completely basic 101 consumer-grade computing knowledge, consider this thread closed, thanks for nothing, & learn how to use your computers; the achievement of MAKING SOUND COME OUT, for example, does not qualify u as knowing d!ck about computers. if this is the level of tech knowledge here then why does this site even exist, why arent u all just "taking it back to Apple" all the time like the poster in this thread suggested? literally well over 50% of the "problems" i've seen threads about on this site in the past 24 hrs are answered by reading a manual or in the first page of google results. F-ing noobs.

Ask a Question