Macbook freezing on startup

Reaction score
I was recently given an older MacBook which is running OS X. I had downloaded updates for it and during the final phase of the update lost power (battery doesn't hold charge). Upon restarting the computer only the white apple screen appears with the "working" icon and doesn't load even after six hours. Can anyone tell me the issue?

Reaction score
First of all, we need to know 1) the exact model of your MacBook, and 2) the version of the Mac OS you were trying to update to.

Secondly, how are you trying to restart the machine? If the battery is dead, you "should" be able to start up the machine with the adapter plugged in.

Once you let us know that, we can try and help you.

Reaction score
It is 2006 Mac Dual Core running OS X. It is (was) plugged in with the adapter. It isn't an issue of not coming on. It powers up to the white Mac screen with the apple logo, then just sits there with the little circle going around

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Since the MacBook lost power during the update, it sounds like it didn't complete and the OS is now corrupted. The best bet would be to take it to an Apple Store Genus Bar and have them perform a reinstall over the top of the existing install.

Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of you data?

C

Reaction score
I was recently given an older MacBook which is running OS X. I had downloaded updates for it and during the final phase of the update lost power (battery doesn't hold charge). Upon restarting the computer only the white apple screen appears with the "working" icon and doesn't load even after six hours. Can anyone tell me the issue?

I guess if you have installation dvd you can try reinstalling the OS X afresh.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I pretty much thought that would be the fix. Just wanted to make sure the was something I wasn't aware of since I'm new at Mac. Not to much different from the IBM side.

Ask a Question