Freezing MacBook! Please help newb.

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting on Mac Help. I am new to Macs in general. I got a REFURBISHED 15" inch MBP from NewEgg. The thing is, every time I time I boot up, the machine crashes. The computer is running 10.6.8 and I have performed one AHT (quick scan which came back as fine). I'm doing a more in-depth AHT.

THERE HAVE BEEN TWO OCCASIONS WHERE THE MACHINE HAS FUNCTION FLAWLESSLY
So far I have tried the following:
  • AHT
  • Booting in Safe Mode
  • Updating the OS (Machine would crash on reboot and updates applied)
  • Resetting the NVRAM & PRAM
  • Ran Dish Utility in Single User Mode and ised the "/sbin/fsck -fy" command
Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Also sorry if there is a sticky for this kind of thing, like I said this is my first post. I'm calling NewEgg tomorrow so just stick to the Mac Advice :)

Reaction score
Hi and welcome,

A few questions.
1) How old is the MBP?
2) Do you still have warrenty?
3) What happens if you boot into safe mode?

I'm calling NewEgg tomorrow

Personally I would first book a Genius Bar appointment at your nearest Apple store and get the techs to diagnose the issue, once done take it back to NewEgg armed with what Apple has told you and get them to fix.
To me it sounds like one of three things
A) Logic Board
B) Hard drive
3) Ram

Reaction score
My first MacBook Pro was brand new, display model, no problem for years. (Lucy rocked my world)
#2 (Stanley - a 17") was merely $100 as original owner replaced because of funny glitches. We had a good life until I dropped him on the sidewalk. To his credit, he hung around for more than a year afterward until glitch after freeze after crash brought me to #3 (my beloved Lizzie), who's been wonderful since September. Only challenge with Lizzie is completely ridding her of previous owner's name & prefs, but we're getting there.

I'll be checking back in to glean what information I can from VIPs here...

Reaction score
Anna: Am I violating some important rule by not naming my computers? I guess I'll have to start; but if it's not too delicate a subject, how do you determine the gender of your computers?

Ask a Question