MacBook Air freezing on OS X Utilities

Reaction score
My MacBook Air had its main logic board replaced a few weeks ago. After I got it back, it was crashing all the time whilst using the internet browser etc. I decided to wipe the laptop and try to reinstall from new.

When it boots, it boots to a folder with a question mark, then I press command and R, it loads to internet recovery fine, no crashing. I get to disk utilities and I press on reinstall OS X and I get so far to pressing reinstall but it then crashes and the only way to turn it off is to fully shut it down.

I have done this around 20 times but every single time, it freezes. I just can't find any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
First, what exact steps did you go through when you "wiped the laptop" and then "reinstall from new"?

Secondly, what Mac OS are you trying to install?

Third, what device are you using to make posts here? If it's another Mac, what exact model is it?

Finally, what model is your MacBook Air? I have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, with a 252 gig SSD, and it has performed flawlessly for me.

Reaction score
First, what exact steps did you go through when you "wiped the laptop" and then "reinstall from new"?

Secondly, what Mac OS are you trying to install?

Third, what device are you using to make posts here? If it's another Mac, what exact model is it?

Finally, what model is your MacBook Air? I have a mid 2013 13" MacBook Air, with a 252 gig SSD, and it has performed flawlessly for me.

Hi,

I can't actually remember, I think I tried to just wipe the MacBook. I only did this because it was crashing and freezing constantly after having it back from getting its main logic board replaced by Apple.

I can't even get to click on reinstall on OS X Utilities as as soon as it loads to the OS X Utilities after loading through internet recovery, it will automatically freeze.

I don't get the chance to press on disk utility or reinstall OS X because it just freezes.

I am using my iPhone to create posts and I have a brand new 11 month old 11" MacBook air which I believe is the 2015 model which was bought directly from Apple.

Reaction score
So, you purchased a 2015 11" MacBook Air directly from Apple in October 2016, and it had a logic board issue. What a bummer!

Do you have a friend that has a Mac? The ideal solution would be to connect your MacBook Air to another Mac, and boot it in Target Disk Mode. From there, you could use what ever tools are on the other Mac to try and get things straight for your Mac.

You did not answer one question: what Mac OS are you trying to install onto your MacBook Air?

Ask a Question