Not auto detecting my external hard drive anymore

Reaction score
Well, i have a powerbook g4 with osx 10.9.3 and my seagate external hard drive had been working perfect, until today. I had always had the issue where when i eject it it didnt do anything, so i just removed it and it said i removed it improperly. anyways, today i did this but the yellow icon for the usb decive didnt go away, it just turned into the same image as the normal hard drive. Then when i plugged my hard drive back in, it wouldn't find it. my roommate suggested pulling that icon by my seagate into the recycle because it was jsut a shortcut, so i did. now when i try to plug in my hard drive i get no response at all. i really need this to work as i am a dj, and it has ALL of my music and i am suppose to be playing a gig tomorrow night. any help is greatly appriciated. thanks so much!

Reaction score
Well, i have a powerbook g4 with osx 10.9.3 and my seagate external hard drive had been working perfect, until today. I had always had the issue where when i eject it it didnt do anything, so i just removed it and it said i removed it improperly. anyways, today i did this but the yellow icon for the usb decive didnt go away, it just turned into the same image as the normal hard drive. Then when i plugged my hard drive back in, it wouldn't find it. my roommate suggested pulling that icon by my seagate into the recycle because it was jsut a shortcut, so i did. now when i try to plug in my hard drive i get no response at all. i really need this to work as i am a dj, and it has ALL of my music and i am suppose to be playing a gig tomorrow night. any help is greatly appriciated. thanks so much!

Firstly, unless you want to destroy your drive, never unplug the USB cable from the port unless the drive is off. Have you tried using Disk Utility? Oops, looks like I'm a bit late on this one. :eek:

Reaction score
i solved the problem, looks like some how in my finder preferences, the harddisk check box had 'dashed -' itself, instead of a normal check. easy fix, thanks tho.

Ask a Question