MacBook Pro not detecting *any* wifi networks

Reaction score
Hi! So im running yosemite 10.10.5 on a 2010 macbook pro- and it suddenly can't detect ANY wifi networks: not hotspots, neighbors wifi's, nothing... i followed a rabbit hole online trying all the suggestions I've found for this problem: changing MTU to 1450, renewing DHCP lease, and deleting (backed up) preference files- and no change :/ what now? Please help! :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model 2010 MacBook Pro?
-Can you provide the link to the suggestions you followed?

C

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Those look like sound steps to follow, although the DHCP and MTU steps don't really apply, since you cannot even see any networks. It is either a deep software issue, or an issue with the hardware itself.

You could also try the following if you haven't already:
-Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
-How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

I have seen those MacBook Pros lose Wi-Fi, but normally it is because of liquid/physical damage. Because the Wi-Fi board is installed inside the clutch cover of the display hinge assembly, it is a somewhat difficult repair and is NOT recommended for non-technicians. In addition, the board and the connectors are somewhat delicate, and can easily be shorted out without proper repair techniques. That model is now vintage, which means parts aren't available and it cannot be serviced by Apple.

Do you happen to have an external hard drive with OS X installed that you could startup from to eliminate a possible software issue?

C

Ask a Question