Help installing Windows on 2012 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I've been trying to install Windows on my 2012 MacBook Pro. I followed the 2 sets of matching instructions I found, but when BootCamp Assistant, according to the instructions, was supposed to automatically locate and recognize the Windows ISO file, it didn't. There is no way I can see to have it locate it non-automatically. BootCamp just tells me to insert the disk, which makes no sense because it's a download, not a disk. I need Windows to run for work.

Reaction score
It looks like this link is good:

Basically, the Windows ISO file gets initially downloaded to your downloads folder, and then you need to "tell" Bootcamp where that file is.

Reaction score
My BootCamp has no ISO image box where it should. Instead I get a question asking me if I want to install Windows and/or Windows support software. It will install support software, but if I tell it to install Windows it gives me a "insert disk message."

Reaction score
What exact Mac OS are you running? I am using the latest version of High Sierra (OS 10.13.4), and it looks like that screen that appears after downloading the Windows iso file has changed somewhat. Let me explain.

After I downloaded the Windows 10 iso file, a file by the name of "Win10_1709_English_x64.iso" did appear in my downloads folder. When I started the Bootcamp Assistant program, though, it did "see" that file in my downloads folder, but it is also expecting a USB drive to be connected to one's Mac. I did not proceed any further, even though I did plug in an empty USB 32 gig Flash Drive, and I guess I could have installed Windows 10 on that flash drive.

When you downloaded that Windows iso file, was it in your downloads folder? If not, do a search for that file name, and then either copy it to your downloads folder, or when you start the Bootcamp Assistant program, you'll need to change that location for that iso file.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It goes automatically to the downloads folder, but Bootcamp Assistant doesn't find it.

Reaction score
Are you certain the file is there?

You still did not state what exact Mac OS you are using. Make sure to state the exact version. For example, I am using V10.13.4 of High Sierra.

Also, both in that video and when I tried it, when one gets to that screen for "selecting" the Windows ISO file, right next to the part where it says "ISO image (with the name and location of the file after that)", there is a "Choose" button that one can click, and then navigate to the location of the iso file.

What does yours say for the location of the iso file?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-As honestone asked previously, we do need to know which version of OS X you are running?
-Where did you download the Windows ISO from?
-What version of Windows is it?
-Can you give us a link to the "2 sets of matching instructions I found", so we can review them?

C

Reaction score
Just to re-emphasize, except for the additional screen that appears after launching the Bootcamp Assistant contained within the Utilities folder, that video I posted is accurate.

Reaction score
I use Parallels Desktop, install that and then load Windows when asked to. To run windows just have Parallels in background and select the windows program Icon that you want.

Ask a Question