Help reinstalling OS on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hello all,

I decided to post here after a few frustrating attempts at reinstalling OS X over the last couple of weeks.

The situation started after i had removed my hard drive from the laptop in order to backup all my data onto my desktop. When i put it back in the laptop the OS would refuse to boot and I'd be stuck at the apple logo.

After that i booted into recovery and tried the Reinstall Max OS X option. I got stuck at the first window with the rotating wheel and "Loading Installer Information".

After that I dug up the Install DVD that came with the macbook and stuck it in, only to have it be ejected everytime it tried to spin up. This did not happen with any other DVD/CD i tried.

How do I go about reinstalling this OS? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Sounds more like you didn't put it back in correctly, every screw MUST be returned to the correct location, these are micro - millimeter different, also cables must be seated correctly, and finally without the correct anti-static equipment it is possible to zap any of the controller chips. The Harddrive is not a user serviceable part, I strongly recommend you take it to an Apple Service Centre near you.

Reaction score
I am currently running the laptop on a linux LiveCD and i can access all my data on the hard drive without a problem. Doesn't that rule out any cabling/hardware failure issues?

Reaction score
Personally I agree with Kaveman re Apple centre, mainly because of the way the super drive is behaving. Something is definatly not connected / seated correctly.
And as you have spent two weeks on this already with no way forward, now is the time to get a profesional Apple engineer to correct the problem.

Ask a Question