Page won't open on iMac, but will on Macbook Pro

Reaction score
For some reason my iMac won’t let me get to the Home Depot website. I have no problem opening it with my Macbook Pro. I have tried using Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on the iMac and all browsers give me the same message. I have update the permissions, run Onyx and Tech Tool Pro, made sure all proxies are unchecked, turned off Avast Antivirus, turned off all extensions, restarted the computer and nothing has changed. Do you have any idea why this page won’t open?

Home Depot.jpg

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
First off I'd be going to a website which can report on whether it's you or the site that is 'down'.

I use downforeveryoneorjustme .com

Next I would clear your Internet Browsing Cookies and Caches for the browser you are using.

Then I would uninstall Firefox/Chrome & download & reinstall to test if it's helped.

Also if you use Safari try a new Private Window (Shift Command N) or with Chrome, use Incognito (Ctrl+Shift+N)

Firefox undoubtedly has a similar feature but I don't know it.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. As stated, the site works on my laptop, so I know the site is working. Cookies and caches were cleared on all browsers and I did try to delete/reinstall them. Everything that you've suggested I had already tried. I'm really confused since this is happening on three different browsers.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-What version(s) of OS X on the iMac and MacBook Pro?
-Do you have the firewall enabled?
-Do you happen to have manual Network/DNS settings on the iMac that are different than the MBP?

C

Reaction score
10.9 on iMac - 10.12 on MacBook
Firewall is on
Setting are the same on both computers

FYI: homedepot.com is the only page I'm having trouble with! It worked about a month ago and then just stopped. I have no idea why!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

A couple of things to try:
-Power cycle the modem and router
-Use Network Utility and see if you can ping homedepot.com
-Try a Chrome Incognito Window and Safari Private Window
-Try disabling the firewall temporarily

C

Reaction score
Did the modem and router... Network Utility pinged with no problem... still didn't work with Incognito window... disabled the firewall. Nothing worked. :(

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

Try changing Configure IPv6 from Automatically to Link-local only in the Network preference pane.

C

Reaction score
I've figured out that the Avast Web Shield is the problem. If I disable it, the site will load. If I add the Home Depot server to the list, it should solve the problem. Any idea how I find out what the HD server is? I have no idea where to look or what to include.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Ahhh....that would do it. You had mentioned you turned off Avast in your original post, but maybe not the Web Shield component?

You should only have to use the Home Depot URL to make the exception. There isn't an easy way to use the server or its IP address, because most large companies have multiple web servers for redundancy and load balancing.

C

Reaction score
Ahhh....that would do it. You had mentioned you turned off Avast in your original post, but maybe not the Web Shield component?

You should only have to use the Home Depot URL to make the exception. There isn't an easy way to use the server or its IP address, because most large companies have multiple web servers for redundancy and load balancing.

C
Thanks for all of your suggestions!! I found 5 different servers and also put in the URL... none of them worked. I'll just turn off the shield whenever I want to use the site. It's still pretty frustrating!!

Ask a Question