SOLVED MacBook Pro won't shut down when trying to perform restart

Reaction score
I'm trying to install the latest software update for High Sierra (Safari 13.0.4 and security update 10.13.6). It's "restart required", but when my MacBook tries to shut down it gets as far as a dark screen (with the cursor still visible) and stops. I then have to hold down the power button to shut it down manually. I've tried doing a restart from the Apple menu my desktop and the same thing happens.

I've also tried reinstalling the MacOS and doing first aid on the startup disk via disc utility, but no luck. (I'm on a 13" MacBook Pro mid-2012)

Grateful for any tips,

Stephen

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, I took a look, and this is what stands out:

-Your battery is failing and needs replaced
-F-Secure antivirus - could be causing a lot of slowness, especially if running real-time - try uninstalling it for a while and see if that helps
-Dropbox can slow down you Mac if it is constantly syncing - try pausing the syncing
-Adobe Flash is installed - Adobe is discontinuing Flash soon, and it has been known to cause all kinds of issues. I recommend uninstalling and using Google Chrome to access any sites that may require Flash
-Safe Anywhere Mac - another antivirus...I would definitely uninstall it

Try those recommendations and see if the install issue is resolved. Antivirus apps can definitely prevent installs and normal restart/shut down.

C

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help, Cory!
All fixed now – turns out reindexing Spotlight was the answer. (Got rid of a few dodgy apps too.)
Happy holidays,
Stephen

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
No worries...glad you found a solution.

Be well and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

C

Ask a Question