Macbook pro won't boot, green lines over apple logo

Reaction score
Appreciate the time and help.

I have a macbook pro late 2011 and while I was working it randomly shut off. Everytime I try to reboot I get a weird grey screen with green lines over the apple logo and a distorted reboot loading bar that never finishes.

I was able to run an apple hardware test and it said there was no trouble found.

I've read online that this apparently was an issue with my model of macbook pro and there was a repair extension program for video issues. However the apple website claims that my model is no longer accepted in the program because it's been over four years.

Anyone have an idea what the issue could be, how best to repair it, and a guess as to cost of repair?

Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• mac_green_lines.jpg
    mac_green_lines.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 328

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Yes, that is a symptom that was covered in the Repair Extension Program for Video Issues. Is is an issue with the graphics chip on the logic board. It has indeed expired for your MBP model. In addition, your MBP is now Vintage status, which means it cannot be repaired at all by Apple. You may have some luck with third-party Apple Authorized Service Providers, providing they still have parts in stock, as those can no longer be ordered.

Unless you can find somewhere to get the repair performed, you will basically have to purchase an new computer. You should be able to use Target Disk Mode to transfer/migrate your files.

Sorry for the bad news,

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory, thanks for the response. Totally understand. I was able to successfully use target disk mode to transfer all my files. Appreciate the help!

Ask a Question