Macbook 2017 Air Won't Charge after Format.

Reaction score
Upon receiving this Macbook I plugged in a Manjaro live usb boot disk. I then proceeded to boot into a live environment and start install. In which I formatted the HDD to ext4 and installed the OS.

Now, I understand how grievous of an error that was at the current moment, but at the time, I couldn't see what would possibly be wrong with such actions.

Upon shutdown and reboot, it wouldn't. I had bricked it, so to speak. After countless hours of fiddling with it I managed to get it to boot into a kernel panic mode? By holding the power button, attaching the charger and letting go of the power 5~ seconds later.

I've since then reinstalled factory, etc etc... And Done everything under the sun that I'm familiar with to try and get this working.

Is there some kind of partition structure that I'm not aware of that allows the SMC to properly run? Because it seems that all I would have done to this machine by formatting the HDD is delete something off of the drive that would accommodate.

Thanks guys. This has been a long and grueling endeavor.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

I had never heard of Manjaro until your post. Installing that OS shouldn't have interfered with the charging capability, as that is handled by the SMC, which is not part of the storage drive.

The proper way to reset the SMC on your MBP is as follows:
1. Shut down your Mac and leave your power adapter connected.
2. On your built-in keyboard, press and hold all of these keys:
-Shift on the left side of your keyboard​
-Control on the left side of your keyboard​
-Option (Alt) on the left side of your keyboard​
3. While holding all three keys, press and hold the power button as well.
4. Keep holding all four keys for 10 seconds.
5. Release all keys, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

You should be able to erase the drive again and reinstall macOS using Internet Recovery: How to reinstall macOS

If you get things working properly again, you could still install Manjaro on an external drive. Their support may be able to help as well.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Ask a Question