Upgrading MacBook Air 13-inch 2017 SSD Help Please

Reaction score
Hi There,

I was just wondering if anybody would be able to reccomend any cheap or 'reasonably priced' but well functioning SSDs that would be compatible with my MacBook Air 13-inch 2017 (running Catalina). I currently have its original 258GB SSD in it. I'm not quite sure where to look to find compatible SSDs in a good price range, I looked at OWC because I saw they were made for Macs and require no adapters or 'tricky stuff' but they were just WAY too pricey, especially since I'm looking for a 900GB-1TB SSD. Is anybody able to reccomend any reasoably priced compatbile 900GB-1TB SSDs? I don't mind if they require some sort of adapter I may need to install, (such as an adapter like this I saw? Sintech NGFF M.2 NVMe SSD Adapter Card not quite sure if that's the correct adapter for my laptop or what SSDs would suit it though). But yeah it would be greatly appreciated if anybody could point me in the right direction here for how to best/most economically upgrade my 2017 13inch Macbook Air SSD! Even if it requires a bit of tinkering I'm open to options. Thanks everyone!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

There aren't many replacement flash drives available for the MacBook Air. The OWC Aura units are very well made and very compatible, and you can put the Apple flash/SSD in the external enclosure if you buy the "kit" version. Anything in the 1 TB range will be around that $239/249 price, even if you get a less expensive one and an adapter. I normally don't recommend any that would require an adapter, as that adds a layer of possible incompatibility and fitment issues.

Personally, I would recommend leaving the Apple 256 GB as is, and purchase an external Thunderbolt enclosure with an SSD in it. Run macOS and you applications from the internal, and use the external for your files and iTunes/Music/TV/Photos libraries if you need the additional space.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question