Macbook pro 15.4" early 2008-upgrading to El Capitan---Help

Reaction score
In my apple hand book for the laptop the max. memory that it suggests is 2x2GB but I have read that one can increase the ram memory to 6GB.Can any one tell me if this is possible and would it work as I want to upgrade from OSX 10.5.8 to the new EL captain. Also would I have to upgrade to snow leopard 1st then to El capitan. Any advice would be appreciated very much as I am not all that with it in these new things ( you see i am 73 years old)
My macbook information--Proc.2.4GHz Int core 2 due- Ram Type-DDR2 PC5300 SODIMM 667 MHz

Reaction score
In some instances, even though one can install more than the "maximum" RAM stated by Apple, the OS might only recognize that "maximum" amount.

As far as upgrading is concerned, first, you will need to upgrade to OS 10.6.8, the last version of Snow Leopard. For that, you'll need to purchase the DVD (believe it costs between $19.95 and $29.95). Then, you can upgrade for free to any OS beyond Snow Leopard. If I were you, I would "jump" all the way to El Capitan, OS 10.11. As it is, there are issues with that OS now, along with some third party software not upgraded yet. Also, there is already a 10.11.1 upgrade in beta testing. In fact, it has been out for about a month. It might be better if you upgrade to a stable, interim OS. Also, you need to make sure that all of your third party software will work with whatever OS you upgrade to.

Reaction score
In some instances, even though one can install more than the "maximum" RAM stated by Apple, the OS might only recognize that "maximum" amount.

As far as upgrading is concerned, first, you will need to upgrade to OS 10.6.8, the last version of Snow Leopard. For that, you'll need to purchase the DVD (believe it costs between $19.95 and $29.95). Then, you can upgrade for free to any OS beyond Snow Leopard. If I were you, I would "jump" all the way to El Capitan, OS 10.11. As it is, there are issues with that OS now, along with some third party software not upgraded yet. Also, there is already a 10.11.1 upgrade in beta testing. In fact, it has been out for about a month. It might be better if you upgrade to a stable, interim OS. Also, you need to make sure that all of your third party software will work with whatever OS you upgrade to.

Correction to this post (my fat fingers got in the way!). I meant to say "If I were you, I would not "jump" all the way to El Capitan.

Ask a Question