What kind of external display is best to buy for a 15" early 2011 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I know my 15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro is now vintage, but it still works great and I would like to buy an external display that is both compatible with this model and then newer models when it's time to replace my MacBook.

Does anyone know what brand and model of display would be compatible with this older computer? I am not very knowledgeable about computers and their accessories, and don't know if this is a wise idea (with changing technology) since I don't want move forward in buying a display that will work with this computer, but then be incompatible with newer models.

Also, if I continue to upgrade to newer operating systems, will this affect the compatibility of the display? (Once again, I'm pretty ignorant about a lot of this.) I currently use Sierra (10.12.6).

Does anyone have any knowledge about this or any advice? Thank you!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You should be able to use pretty much any current monitor with your MBP and newer Macs. The Thunderbolt port on your MBP doubles as a Mini DisplayPort output. You would simply need the proper adapter for your MBP - Mini DisplayPort to either HDMI, DVI, or VGA. If you buy a monitor with a Mini DisplayPort connection, you can use it directly.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question