Where is my Kindle?

Reaction score
I am an old-timer with Macs, but this new OS 10.8 makes me feel like a fool, so I will post this here.

I am using a MacBook Pro and updated to the new OS when I was in the US a week or so ago. When I left the US after updates, everything was fine.

Now I have returned here. All my equipment seems to work, but we cannot rule out a hardware problem. Obviously, I am hoping that I have screwed up my preferences or something.

I have an Amazon Kindle. It is plugged into a working USB port on the PowerBook using a Mini-USB cable. This is my usual arrangement, it usually works fine.

Now however the Kindle lights up to be charged, but it does not appear as an icon on my desktop. It also does not appear in any sidebar nor when I do a spotlight search. But, as I said, the USB port does work, the Kindle does work and the Kindle is getting power from the USB port.

Any ideas other than a hardware problem caused by my trans-Atlantic commute?

===eta===

Clue, the Kindle did not go into USB HD mode. Looks like a hardware issue! Please tell me I am wrong.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,

-What model Kindle?
-Does the Kindle show in System Profiler under USB or in Disk Utility?
-Could the USB cable be damaged?

C

Reaction score
A Kindle DX (the oversized one), It may be the USB cable, I will have to find a new one and try that before full-blown panic sets in.

It does not appear in Disk Utility (which is scary) and off the top of my head I cannot find System Profiler, has it been renamed or something?

My guess is that the mini-usb on the Kindle has finally been wiggled too much and is mechanically broken.

Is there any way to set up my Mac to move the files to the Kindle wirelessly? I have never done anything like that before.

I feel so dumb.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Depending on the version of Mac OS X, System Profiler can be found by clicking the Apple in upper left of screen and selecting About This Mac.

Yes, connectors and cables have a way of getting loose over time. Try the cable and let us know.

I don't know about wireless access from Kindle to Mac. Will research.

C

Reaction score
I took the Kindle to the office. Using my office cable and my office computer, I got the same result, the computer cannot see the Kindle.

As I see it, the only hope is establishing a WiFi connection (do Kindle DXs do that) or opening the thing up and taking a soldering iron to the USB connector. More likely I see an iPad in my future.

Reaction score
Partial solution (and it makes me feel dumb). I turned on my wireless and it updated itself perfectly. I usually keep wireless off as it did not used to work here in Saudi Arabia. Now it seems to.

As long as the USB works well enough to keep it charged, I am back in business.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah, it will sync wirelessly for content with Amazon, just not the Mac. Sounds like the cable and/or connector is worn.

Keep us in the loop,

C

Ask a Question