Help me find out where this sound effect is coming from

Reaction score
hi.
can someone help me figure out where this sound is coming from? i think it may have something to do with safari but not 100% sure. it will happen at any time and safari can be running in the background and it will still happen. i don't have any extensions in safari or any weird apps running. its a kerplunk kind of sound at the end of the video below. thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X and Safari?
-Are you logged into Google?
-What tabs/windows are open other than YouTube?

C

Reaction score
hi. i have firefox installed but prefer to use safari. i am not certain the sound is coming form safari at all either. i really have no idea. i usually just use safari, mail, ms word and excel. nothing special installed. thanks!

System Version: macOS 10.12.4 (16E195)

Version 10.1 (12603.1.30.0.34)

Probably logged into Google but not necessarily gmail. Just normal websites like MSN.com etc.

Reaction score
Happens randomly. It may be theee times in a minute and then nothing for hours. Thx

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the info.

It sounds like a social media notification sound.

-What Safari extensions are installed?
-Do you have Skype installed and running?
-What are the items in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items?

C

Reaction score
I attached a screen of the processes running. nothing is in the login items. thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 10.17.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 10.17.47 AM.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 316

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I agree with Cory in as much as it does sound like a Social Media notification sound so as an experiment you could quit then re-open your web browser & don't go to any social media pages at all, just maybe YouTube & general web surfing in another tab & see if this sound occurs.

Reaction score
Hate to sound dumb but what is considered social media? I don't go to facebook or anything else. Sometimes I am on YouTube for music or instructional videos. And the rest of the time it's just news sites etc. I will have less tabs open or just one at s time to see if I can narrow it down. So is safari is making this noise it has to be from a page itself and not the application itself right? I went through all the sound effects in the app and OS X and this one is not there. Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Social media is things like Facebook, Google Hangouts, Twitter, Skype, Instagram, etc. If you are logged into Google/YouTube, it may be a sound for Google Hangout invites, or something of that nature.

Yes, it does sound like it is originating on a web page via Safari, especially if Safari is open whenever you hear the sound.

C

Reaction score
Ok. Google and YouTube would be the only thing I could be logged into then social media wise. Let me play around with this and see what I can find. Thanks

Reaction score
I finally found out what it was. During the weekdays I would be on an online supply store website. They have this dumb little chat window in the bottom right that pops up a message every once in asking if I have any questions. I realized that this wasn't happening on the weekend and that led me to move away from thinking it was youtube to work related stuff. Thanks everyone !

Ask a Question