HD & Finder gone from desktop - Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for some help in undoing what I have done to my mac.
I first had a problem with Quicktime. It said I needed to install more components to play my [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]video[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]. I tried to do this but realised the version was too high for my [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]OS [/FONT][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]X[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] 10.4.11. So I tried to install an earlier version but it kept saying no as I had a newer version installed. I then tried to uninstall by following advice from various [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]forums[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] and now my mac is unusable except for safari but even that keeps crashing. My desktop is blank - no HD. My icons are still in my dock but only safari will open from that. I can not click on desktop to open finder and am not technically minded so don't know how else to get finder/HD or disk [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]utility[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] open. I have obviously deleted something I shouldn't have. Can someone please help me???

Sandra.

Reaction score
Sandra, the Mac OS is very complicated and Quicktime is a key component. If your Mac says no to something, then it's a good time to listen.

If you can get to your files, BACKUP NOW!

This is one of the few times I would recommend going back to your installer DVDs, do a full install in place, then run all the Software Updates. Fingers crosses.

Ask a Question