Help with viewing folders, then files in Finder

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up Finder to sort/show the folders on top, followed by the files. I have tried "View Options" and then "View by Kind" and then "Sort by Name". This shows the folders on top, but I don't want the mini-headers that is listed below, as it separates out all the types of files (a block for pdfs, block for Word documents and so).

Is there a way to mimic Windows' style of showing all the files/folders in a directory, have them sorted in which the folders appear first (in alpha order), followed by all the files in alpha order? I thought I had this figured out and then I changed some options and can't seem to get it back.

Using a Macbook Pro, OS X, 10.7

Thank you.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try this:

Open a new Finder window and press the keyboard combination of Command + 2 to change the view to "List" view.

Then use the Left/Right/Up/Down Arrows to navigate around.

Play around with it. The Option key when pressed with a left/right arrow will expand/enclose all the folders nested within a highlighted parent folder.

Command + 1 = Icon View
Command + 2 = List View
Command + 3 = Column View

Don't know if this is what you wanted ??

Ask a Question