SOLVED Securing a 2017 Macbook Pro

T

trailrunner

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2017 Macbook Pro (with i5 cpu and 256 gb storage). I want to make sure it's well secured before I start using it. Can anyone provide tips for making my Macbook Pro more secure. It will be running the newest OS Mojave so maybe there are specific tweaks I can do in Mojave to make it more secure?

For example, do I need to Disable remote management in System Preferences or is this already disabled by default? Also, how do I create a system recovery disc in case I need to restore the OS on the Macbook pro?

I've been using Windows for a long time and so I appreciate any tips to make my move to using the Mac a productive and secure experience. Thank you!

Trailrunner

Reaction score
There should already be a recovery partition on the MBP for restoring the OS. Boot with Command + R keys depressed to access the recovery partition.

System Preferences > Sharing. will give you access to the remote management settings, which should be turned off as default.

T

trailrunner

If I set the Firewall setting to "Block all incoming connections", will my software (such as Chrome web browser, Firefox, etc.) still get new updates? For example, will my Firefox browser get the latest software update or will it just show an alert that a software update is available?

Ask a Question