Loosing wireless internet connection

Reaction score
Just bought an iMac. I already own a macbook which connects to my wireless home network no problem. However i find the iMac keeps loosing the wireless connection to my router and i have to keep going into the airport icon at the top of the screen and reslecting my router. It then connects fine. Can anyone advise how to stop this happening. Thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

is the iMac near a Microwave or another device like a cordless phone...

Sometimes these can have an effect on your network.

Does the MacBook lose connection when in the same place ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Haven't tried my macbook near the imac for a long period of time which I would need to do to check connection. It is very near a dect phone but i had a windows pc in the same location for 3 years without any probelm. Is this seriously a potential cause? Never heard that before?

Reaction score
Hi Skywalters, what Ric has told you is correct, even right down to Microwaves which can affect performance and cause interference:

There are a number of factors that can cause the signal of your access point to deteriorate and the performance of your network to fall under par. Practically any appliance that operates on the same frequency level (2.4 GHz) as 802.11b or 802.11g can cause interference with your wireless network. Be sure to keep cordless phones, microwaves and other electrical equipment at least 1m away from the access point. Try changing channels on the access point and test it out on one of the clients. To change the radio channel on the access point login to the configuration (usually a web based interface) and go to the Wireless Settings (will vary depending on vendor) section, select a different channel and save settings. On the client, go to Device Manager, right click your wireless network adapter and go to Properties. In the advanced tab select the Channel Property and change the Value to the same number as the one you chose on the Access Point. Disable and then re-enable the wireless connection.

Taken from the heading "low signal stregnth" HERE - it doesn't matter if it is a Mac or a computer, both can be affected.

Additionally, just because one device may not be affected, does not necessarily mean that another device won't be affected either. :)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

you could also get a copy of MacStumbler or iStumbler to see if any of your neighbours is running a wireless network on the same channel as you...that could also be affecting your network.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question