Mac Loosing memory

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've got a big problem, I have a Mac mini 3,1
(Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed:2.26 GHz Number of Processors:1 Total Number of Cores:2 L2 Cache:3 MB Memory:4 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version:MM31.00old projectsAD.B00 SMC Version (system):1.35f1

I've been working on a couple projects in FCP X 10.2.1 (recently downloaded) and I've used up most of my memory. So I started deleting projects and any junk. I've deleted over 30 gigs but I still have only approximately 600 mega-bites left. I then tied using CleanMyMac 3.1.1. Please tell me what I've done wrong.

Thanks

Chuck

Reaction score
When you delete stuff from your internal drive, that gives you more space on the drive. But, it does not help much at all regarding the 4 Gig of memory you have inside your Mac Mini. Most likely, there are some processes that are running on your machine which are using some of the 4 Gig of memory.

What exact Mac OS are you using?

Also, go to the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder, and launch the program Activity Monitor. Click on the "tab" that says Memory, and you'll see a list of all processes running, and how much memory each one is using.

Also, do you have any Start Up Items that launch?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Also, if you deleted the over 30 gigs of files as you stated, they may still be in the Trash. You won't reclaim the space they occupied until you empty the Trash. Your free space should then climb from 600MB to over 30.6GB.

As a sidenote, be careful using CleanMyMac - it is usually more harmful than helpful.

C

Reaction score
Also, if you deleted the over 30 gigs of files as you stated, they may still be in the Trash. You won't reclaim the space they occupied until you empty the Trash. Your free space should then climb from 600MB to over 30.6GB.

As a sidenote, be careful using CleanMyMac - it is usually more harmful than helpful.

C

Thanks Cory and Spawn_Dooley for correcting my initial post. As both of you know, the use of the term "memory" normally means the amount of memory installed in the machine, and it has nothing to do with hard disk space. I suspect the OP mean hard disk space.

Chuckvid,

There are a number of more reliable ways of cleaning out hard disk space. One way is to diligently do it yourself. Also, the excellent freeware program Onyx is helpful also, although it does not clean out a "huge" amount of stuff. Still, good, safe, and reliable to use.

Ask a Question