iPad 2018 issue found

Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope you're are doing good. Newbie here. iPad Mini 4 user for a year almost. A few days ago bought me an iPad 9.7 2018 (6th gen, WiFi only) too. Noticed that it gets considerably hot in the region below where the A10 Processor is located (as depicted in the picture linked below for clarity) like when doing tasks such as casual browsing (Safari), Twitch streaming, Youtube, etc.

Guess "considerably" here could be a relative term. I use all of my devices with no cover/cases. Haven't felt the same issue with the iPad Mini 4 even with its thin and small body. Also, have no clue whether it's a normal phenomenon with the current gen entry-level 9.7 iPads. Played some graphics intensive games to find out this abnormality in the region being hot. As expected it pumped up the temperature on the region of A10 processor. But I don't get it why there is a rise in temperature around the region of WiFi/Bluetooth module & Touchscreen controller during the usage of other apps. Does anybody have any idea of this? Any iPad users experiencing the same?

Though I don't have a thermal image of the device to prove my point. I did reinforce my doubt with the help of people I shared the device with. I also have a few days left if in case I want to exchange the device. Again, if exchanging is the only way I don't know how will I be able to prove the issue to the guys in the store for a new device. Please help a sister in concern.

Link:
https://imgur.com/a/kv22NzE
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The new 6th Gen iPad will definitely get warmer than the iPad mini 4th Gen, as it is many times more powerful, and it's chips/technology are more advanced and capable. You will definitely notice this when streaming video or gaming, as the A10 processor is far superior to the A8 in the mini.

The only real was to verify that your iPad is within spec, is to test the same activities out on a display iPad somewhere, or have the Apple Store take a look at it and run diagnostics. I don't currently have access to the newest iPads, so I cannot confirm/deny that yours is operating normally.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question