iPad & iPhone synchronize music differently

Reaction score
Music shows up differently on my iPad and my iPhone. My iPad’s playlists match my iMac’s iTunes playlists, except iTunes and Music sort playlists with names starting with numbers differently. My iPhone’s is missing some of those playlists, including a folder that has other playlists.

When I look at these devices using iTunes on my iMac, they both say iTunes Music Library is on.
When I look at settings in my two devices, I see Music as:
Show Apple Music - On
Add Playlist Songs - On
Show Star Ratings - On
iCloud Music Library - On
Cellular Data - On
Downloaded Music - iPad=67.49 GB, iPhone = 33.78 GB
Optimize storage - Off
Automatic Downloads - On
Apple ID (mine)

I synchronized my iPhone manually (sometimes iTunes can’t find it, even though it is plugged in. I just restart iTunes when that happens).

How do I get all of the music on my iPhone? (All of my software is current)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

I assume you are using Apple Music on the devices? I don't subscribe to Apple Music, as I manage my library completely manually.

-What storage sizes are the iPad and iPhone?
-Are any songs in the list(s) grayed out?
-Have you tried restarting the iPhone, or signing out and back in?

C

Reaction score
Yes, I use Apple Music on the devices.

Storage sizes are 256GB (with 130GB free) & 128 GB (with 58GB free).

I don't see any grayed out songs.

I have tried shutting down and restarting my iPhone.

It's odd that my iPhone doesn't show a folder I call "Top folders", that is on my iTunes and my iPad. But it does have one of the playlists that is in that folder, and another playlist that *used* to be in that playlist but which has been deleted elsewhere.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

-I would try signing out and back in on the iPhone. Also, has the iPhone ever been connected to your iMac and/or music been synced manually?

C

Reaction score
I don't know if this matters. https://www.icloud.com/ says my iCloud storage is full. I pay for extra storage on the family plan, but can't put my photos to my wife's big storage, so I don't use it for photos. But System Preferences/iCloud says I have 131 GB free.

Reaction score
I started Apple Music last summer after I got a HomePod. I want *everything* to synchronize with my iMac. Signing off and signing on to my account synchronized my iPhone, thanks. That is a pain of a way to synchronize, I hope I don't have to do it very often.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
It is my understanding that Apple Music doesn't affect iCloud storage. Not sure why your Mac shows 131 GB free if other devices are stating iCloud storage is full. My iMac shows 45.34 GB free, as does iCloud.com Settings.

I am sure they are, but maybe verify they are both using the same iCloud account?

C

Reaction score
When I didn't use Apple Music, I had the setting in iTunes to compress my music on my iPhone. Right now iTunes shows my iPhone using audio of 33GB 6,490 songs, and my iPad 62.38GB 6,373 songs. I just went to my Settings in both devices - they both have Music/Downloads/Optimize Storage off and other settings the same.

Ask a Question