Help! MacBook 2008 beeping/wont turn on? Ram issue?

Ami

Reaction score
My MacBook 13 inch 2008 model suddenly started beeping and the white power light flashes. The screen is totally black and won't turn on! The battery has been replaced in the past.

Computer repair shops are trying to rip me off into spending hundreds when I can probably fix it myself!

I have been told it is a Ram issue? Or could it be something else?

If it is Ram, what kind of Nanya Ram could I use to replace it?

Thanks all!!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that is a RAM issue.

We will need the exact model of your MacBook. You can enter your serial number here and let us know what it reports:
Check Your Service and Support Coverage

Also, you can:
-Click the  logo in the upper left of the screen
-Hold the Option key down and About This Mac will change to System Information...and click on it
-In the Hardware Overview: section, let us know the Model Identifier such as MacBook4,1 (white plastic) or MacBook 5,1 (aluminum)

We can then recommend some compatible RAM. Nanya is just one of the vendors that Apple uses for their OEM memory, so you don't have to purchase the same brand for it to be compatible. What country are you in, so we can look at the correct Amazon store?

C

Ami

Reaction score
Yes, that is a RAM issue.

We will need the exact model of your MacBook. You can enter your serial number here and let us know what it reports:
Check Your Service and Support Coverage

Also, you can:
-Click the  logo in the upper left of the screen
-Hold the Option key down and About This Mac will change to System Information...and click on it
-In the Hardware Overview: section, let us know the Model Identifier such as MacBook4,1 (white plastic) or MacBook 5,1 (aluminum)

We can then recommend some compatible RAM. Nanya is just one of the vendors that Apple uses for their OEM memory, so you don't have to purchase the same brand for it to be compatible. What country are you in, so we can look at the correct Amazon store?

C

Thanks a lot! Here is the serial info:
OBS MacBook (13-inch Early 2008) - white plastic model

Serial Number: W88355780P1

My computer won't turn on at all sadly...
As far as Nanya, I hear they only do 4G ram now. Glad to hear there are a few different ram options! I am currently in Australia.

I await your suggestions! :)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information.

The RAM your MacBook requires is: 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM. It has two slots, with an official maximum of 4 GB (2x2 GB). You may see that unofficially it will support 6 GB (1x2 GB and 1x4 GB), but you will lose some of the performance interleaving that way. Here are a few options for you:

Macfixit Australia
Crucial
Macram: Ram for Macs

If you can find the above type on Amazon, that will work as well. The best brands to go with are Samsung, OWC, Crucial, Nanya, Kingston, etc.

Hope that helps,

C

Ask a Question