flashing folder icon and open firmware page...

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

sounds like you've been busy...

Check that the battery is 'seated' properly...then Zap the PRAM and try booting again..

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya!

Have checked that the battery is back in place properly and still getting nothing.
Cannot reboot at all to ZAP PRAM or anything else, as it is not chiming or booting at all. Think it must be something 'inside'....?

Lucy

N.B. Couldn't do the Cuda Chip suggestion becasue couldn't find it, even despite printing out a 'map' of a logic board!

Ric

Reaction score
Try the PMU Reset again...sounds like it's a PMU issue...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
is it okay to do the PMU reset again, instructions say to only press it once... or am I in a deep hole way passed that warning..???

;-)

Ric

Reaction score
If it doesn't come alive after that that do the Logic Board Reset again...

1. Unplug the computer.

2. Press the Power On button on the front of the unit.

3. Open the side access panel.

4. Remove the battery from the logic board.

5. Wait at least 10 minutes before replacing the battery.

6. Make sure the battery is installed in the correct +/- direction.

7. Reassemble the computer and test the unit.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
WOOOOO HOOOOO yippee hoorah - we have power!!!!

Resetting PMU (allbeit accidentally with cable still in, oops am such a lucky lemon!) has done the trick. ...

Has rebooted to open firmware page. Shall I do the rest-nvram stuff and then start again with getting the OS9.2 disc to load etc?

Lucy :)

Ric

Reaction score
Good...

please just do one thing at time and post results...

first just try rebooting...

mac-boot

then return

If this reboots back into open firmware...then try restarting with Command + s held down...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
did mac-boot and return

took me to a new screen with red and wite grid pattern over the screen. Squares approx 5mm size, covering the whole screen. Cannot do anything here.

Ric

Reaction score
Okay force reboot (pull the plug)...

Hold down command + s

I want it in single user mode if we can...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Apple (command) and s took me to open firmware page with the following text written at the very top:

invalid memory access at %SRR): 01c0cab4 %SRR1: 00003030

then normal welcome to open firmware text
type mac-boot etc

Although just noticed that is what is always says at the top of this page, not just when trying to reboot in single user mode...

Ric

Reaction score
Heres what I think...

When you selected the OS X CD as the startup disk...somewhere along the line the drive has got a little corrupted...OS X must be installed even if only part installed, for the Mac to be able to have Kernel Panics...these are unique to OS X.

Kernel panics ususally occur with corrupt software...but can also occur with damaged hardware the most common is 3rd party RAM.

OS X is very picky about what type of RAM you have installed, the RAM that is inside your Mac may work fine with OS 9 but not with OS X.

The fact that you got a Kernel Panic when booting into 'Single User Mode' before, makes me think that the extra RAM that you have in the Mac (I hope you have some !!) is not playing nice with OS X.

The only way to isolate the Kernel Panic when booting into Single User Mode is to remove the 3rd Party RAM chips...then we need to reboot into single user mode.

If it boots then we can throw a few commands at it to try and get it to boot properly.

This however involves removing the RAM chips...

Do you know how much RAM you have ? How many chips are inside the Machine ? And have you upgraded it at anytime ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I agree with everything you say there, it all sounds very logical and I agree that the OSX partition of the start-up disc is corrupt somehow.

I inherited the machine from a co-worker but as far as I am aware it has never been upgraded at all, and is very likely to be running as it arrived out of the box, so to speak.

In terms of how many RAM chips there are, I am afraid I don't know. As I'm sure you've already gathered, the inside workings are a bit of a mystery to me, but I'm willing to take a look if you are prepared to describe what I'm looking for (I bet you're wishing you never started helping me now?!?!)

If not, my husband is more clued up on what goes on inside the box (although only on PCs) so perhaps he can help me when he gets home if it is all impossible to explain here.

Ric

Reaction score
Do you have a digital camera...

If you do then open the case, take a picture and it will help me explain what needs to happen...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
g4slots.jpg

Reaction score
Hiya

There is one slot filled. Have taken a couple of pics and am just trying to upload them onto the PC, will post them asap.

Lucy

Reaction score
Hope you can see these clearly enough....

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 432
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 382

Ric

Reaction score
Well I was hoping for more, than one !

We can't take out that one out as it won't boot at all, without any in !

Don't need piccies now, unless you've already posted them.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question