Macbook pro problem white screen with folder flashing

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I tried to upgrade my macbook pro with retina display to the OS X Mavericks. While it was downloading it stopped at 34% without completing the download, then i shut down and tried to open it and all what appeared to me was a white screen with a folder flashing.
I tried the Alt option key and did recovery it didn't work then tried reinstalling the OS X Mountain Lion it stops on selecting the disk.
Please i need some help finding solution and sorry if this is not on the right place.
Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hi,

The un completed download should not have caused an issue, maybe if you were running the installer yes.

Can you start the Mac in safe mode?

Reaction score
Hi,

This is how you should start Safe Mode or Safe Boot.
  1. Make sure that your Mac is shut down.
  2. Now press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the start up tone, hold the Shift key.
    Hold the Shift key as soon as possible after the start up tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
  5. After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during start up. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.
let us know how it goes.
NB
To leave Safe Mode, restart your computer without holding any keys during start up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

This is how you should start Safe Mode or Safe Boot.
  1. Make sure that your Mac is shut down.
  2. Now press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the start up tone, hold the Shift key.
    Hold the Shift key as soon as possible after the start up tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the grey Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
  5. After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during start up. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.
let us know how it goes.
NB
To leave Safe Mode, restart your computer without holding any keys during start up.
Nothing happened the folder flashes back.

Reaction score
Hi,

Does not sound good, when you say folder flashing back does it have a ? Mark.
If so could be a hard drive failed.

Reaction score
Hi,

Does not sound good, when you say folder flashing back does it have a ? Mark.
If so could be a hard drive failed.
Yes a question mark.
I did the hardware test and no trouble was founded i have an image for the results but i don't know to where should i attach it for you to see.

Reaction score
Sir,
The only keys that worked with me the Alt option key for the internet recovery and the command + R which they do the same they take me to the OS X Utilities window.
The test i did i pressed the D key and thats how i got it.

Reaction score
Hi,
The only keys that worked with me the Alt option key for the internet recovery and the command + R which they do the same they take me to the OS X Utilities window.

That is good if you can run Disk Utility you can check or repair your hard drive, erase your hard drive and reinstall a fresh copy of OS X, or restore your Mac from a Time Machine backup.

After the Recovery System finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and a "Mac OS X Utilities" window. Which you do:)
Now to reinstall OS X, you need to be connected to the Internet either Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Your Wi-Fi menu should be in the upper-right corner of the screen. Click the icon to select from available Wi-Fi networks. Choose your preferred network name and, if needed, enter a username and/or password.

EDIT
OS X Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's servers. Starting up from this system performs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to check for hardware issues.

To reinstall OS X, as I said you need to be connected to the Internet.
  1. Choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.
  2. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  3. Select Disk Utility, and then click Continue.
  4. Select your start up disk from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.
  5. From the Format pop-up menu, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled), enter a name for your disk, and then click Erase.
  6. After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
  7. Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions.

Reaction score
Sir,
Before i do this i just want you to know i tried the 2 first option the time machine and the OS X mountain lion. Each one of those is not showing me an disk so i couldn't compelet the process.
I really want to attach the images but i couldn't.

Reaction score
Hi,

After you have gone into disk utility if you do not see you hard drive (disk) in the left hand window, then as I said before it could have failed possibly and coincidentally during the incompleted download.
So with that in mind and this is my personal opinion I would take it into Apple care.

Reaction score
Hi,

After you have gone into disk utility if you do not see you hard drive (disk) in the left hand window, then as I said before it could have failed possibly and coincidentally during the incompleted download.
So with that in mind and this is my personal opinion I would take it into Apple care.
Thank you so much Oldscribe for your help. I'll try again and see if not then i should take to Apple care.
Thank you again.

Reaction score
Hi moon,

No problem your most welcome, sorry to not be more definitive. But think it is hardware (disk) issue and techs will find the issue.

Reaction score
Hi moon,

No problem your most welcome, sorry to not be more definitive. But think it is hardware (disk) issue and techs will find the issue.
Sorry oldscribe
I found out that disk utility have 2 things the first one is called (disk 0) the other (Mac OS X base system) once i click on top of anyone of those it doesn't let me erase or do anything i did for the Mac OS X base system -> verify disk and it should me list of things and it said mine was ok no problem.

Reaction score
Hi,

They are not what you need your trying to repair the wrong disk. Select the Macintosh HD. If you don't see that then think Apple care.
Your hard drive (/dev/disk0) has two relevant partitions: Macintosh HD (your regular startup volume), and Recovery HD.

Ask a Question