Problem trying to transfer data to my new Macbook air from Timecapsule

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just bought a new macbook air and am trying to transfer my files, apps etc from my old macbook air which were backed up on my Time capsule.
I can open files and see all the backups, in the Time capsule using my old laptop but when I connect my new laptop to the Time capsule to try and view the back up (in order to transfer them to my new laptop) it says back up files not found. I connect to my Time Capsule wirelessly. Any help most welcome. Thanks Chris

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which versions of OS X?
-Have you already setup the new Mac with a user account?
-Were you using Migration Assistant to transfer files from the Time Capsule to the new Mac?

This may help: Move your content to a new Mac

C
Many thanks for your help. Using the "Move your content to a new Mac" link helped me resolve the issue by using a Thunderbolt cable and Target disk mode. I guess I couldn't use the TIme Capsule as my new mac is using OS El Capitan and my old mac and Timecapsule were using OS X 10.8.5?

Reaction score
Many thanks for your help. Using the "Move your content to a new Mac" link helped me resolve the issue by using a Thunderbolt cable and Target disk mode. I guess I couldn't use the TIme Capsule as my new mac is using OS El Capitan and my old mac and Timecapsule were using OS X 10.8.5?

Glad you got your issue resolved. But, as far as an "older" version of Time Capsule, when I was getting to move from Yosemite, OS 10.10.5, to El Capitan, V10.11.1, I first make a backup to my external drive using SuperDuper! (also makes it bootable). I then launched my machine from that bootable backup, used Disk Utility to Erase and Format my internal drive (SSD in my case), did a fresh installation of OS 10.11.1, and then use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy all the "needed" stuff from my SuperDuper! backup (had OS 10.10.5) to my internal drive with OS 10.11.1. I then re-started my Mac from the internal SSD (with El Capitan), and it worked like a charm.

I believe the "migration"/copying process used by Migration Assistant is (or should be?) the same no matter what kind of backup one has. This link describes Migration Assistant:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Ask a Question