Macbook missing memory problem

Reaction score
Hello. I wonder if anyone can help me or has heard of this before. Sometimes my Macbook (2011 13" running High Sierra) won't wake from sleep, and I have to do a hard restart. And then sometimes it's fine, and other times it's really slow, but I realised, when I look in the Memory section of Activity Monitor or About This Mac, that although I have 4gb of memory installed, only 2gb is showing. So I restart the computer, doing a PRAM reset, and sometimes this clears it up and I'm back to 4gb and sometimes not. Anybody got any clue what's going on? Damned if I have...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Which exact model MacBook? If it has removable RAM, then one of the modules may not be seated properly, or may be failing. Have you tried running the built in diagnostics?

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac (AHT)

I would suggest using the Perform extended testing option.

Let us know the results of the AHT.

C

Reaction score
Thanks I will look into this. I did wonder if perhaps it was badly seated RAM or dirty connections.

Reaction score
The thing is, at the moment it is showing 4gb and working quite normally, so I am loathe to run the test unless I am experiencing the problem, because it might give a false result. So I wil have to wait until next time it becomes unresponsive.

Reaction score
Well I tried to run the Diagnnostics and got an exclamation mark and apple.com/support and the number 3403D, so I am assuming I no longer have support for this computer.

Ask a Question