MacBook problem reinstalling - missing hard drive

Reaction score
I was using my MacBook a few days ago and it froze, so I pressed the power button. When I pressed it again to turn it back on, the screen was white with a flashing folder with a question mark on it.

I inserted the first installation disk to reinstall Mac OS X (I accepted that I'll lose everything on my hard drive), and even though it goes into the whole reinstallation dialogue, when I reach "Select Destination" there are no available options.

The booklet also tells me to select "Install Mac OS X and Bundled Software," but that option doesn't appear either.

Disk Utility has been no help, as no hard drive appears on the left. My hard drive seems to have gone spontaneously missing, and I'm out of ideas. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

karazelle

Reaction score
... When I pressed it again to turn it back on, the screen was white with a flashing folder with a question mark on it.

That is an indication that it cannot find a device to boot from, or it is confused about it. This is not nearly as bad as...

when I reach "Select Destination" there are no available options.

and

Disk Utility has been no help, as no hard drive appears on the left. My hard drive seems to have gone spontaneously missing, and I'm out of ideas. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

However, all might not be lost.

Do you hear any sounds from the harddrive?

Do you have a friend with a Mac? If so, look at the advice in the link in my signature.

It could be a case of a fried drive. They do die from time to time if one is really unfortunate. It could theoretically be a case of the disk having poor contact with the connectors. You might look at turning your Mac off, removing the battery and attempt to "reseat" the harddrive.

Ask a Question