Problem accessing attached storage devices - Macbook Air High Sierra

Reaction score
I've recently updated my Macbook Air to High Sierra and have had issues accessing attached storage devices through Finder (though honestly, I cannot remember if I had any issue with it prior to upgrading; I strongly suspect I did not). I first noticed this when I plugged in the SD card from my camera into the built-in SD card reader. I couldn't find the drive anywhere in Finder, but was able to see it using Disk Utility and it seemed fine based on the diagnostics. Eventually I figured out I could access it just fine through the Terminal, but that was it. Never got it to become visible. I thought this was just an issue with the SD reader, or maybe just that card specifically, but I just tried to plug in my wife's external hard drive to the USB port and I have a very similar issue. The drive shows up in the sidebar, but when I click it, it says "[drive name] can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found." There's no eject icon when I hover over the name. Running Disk Utility shows the drive there, with both partitions, happily mounted, and the diagnostic yields nothing abnormal. Again, I'm able to see and manipulate the contents just fine through the Terminal.

Anyone else run into something like this? Just quite frustrating having to do everything from the command line at this point...

Reaction score

Ask a Question