Mac G4 wont start, flashing question mark and folder! please help!

Reaction score
Does anybody know how do i fix this problem. when i start my computer, it goes to a screen that has a folder with the 'finder' icon and the flashing question mark, so i put in the install cd, and hold c, nothing happens, i restart and hold option, nothing happens, i hold d, nothing, and i hold x, nothing. so i read on here to use an external cd rom, so i did and something worked. i put the install cd in the external dvd rom, and held 'option' and i go to the screen where i select the cd and hit the arrow button, but then i get to an gray apple screen, then 10 secs later, itll say restart computer, so i do and it starts all over again. Please does anybody know what to do ???? thanks. :-(

Reaction score
Hi estephan,

Welcome to Mac-Help :)

You don't mention what Mac you have got or what version of OSX you are running?

When you have tried holding c, or x etc, how long did you depress them for? You need to press the apporpriate key down before the start up chime and keep it depressed for quite a few seconds.

When holding c, you need to insert your os cd in the drive beforehand, then close down and reboot holding c.

x is for the system to boot from the OSX folder, this usually works if the system is trying to boot from amother device/partition.

If you can get the applie hardware cd to boot, you can then run a hardware test to see if there is a hardware issue. However, first of all, have you tried starting your system in safe mode, and if so what happens?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107393

(above link assumes you are running OSX)

Reaction score
My apologies Kyomii for being ambiguous. I own a powerpc G4 apple desktop, it has OSX Tiger running on it. When i pressed c, x...etc. I would press them as soon as the computer power button is pushed, i also tried pressing them before after during the chime sound as well, but nothing would happen. when the cd was in the internal cd rom, nothing would happen (it would send me to the blinking folder icon/question mark), but when i put the cd in an external cd rom (my dvd burner), and hold c, the screen would go to grey, with the huge apple logo, but then it would stay there, until it says "please reboot your computer", and there is a bunch of scripted words all around that say "unable to find driver for this platform, and 'panic: we are hanging here..." stuff like that, so i would reboot like it told me to, and the computer would go through the same process and end back at the screen that tells me to reboot, it would never get past the big grey apple screen. THe same thing happens with holding 'x'. I tried to hold 'option' when i boot the screen and i would select 'OSX startup disk' and hit the arrow button, then it would go to the same grey apple screen, and then say you need to reboot.
I tried to boot in 'safe mode' but when i hold shift after the chime sound, nothing happens, it leads me right to the folder icon/flashing question mark, then goes to grey apple then says to reboot. i hope this all makes sense. this is all so frustrating, but i am patient, if you are able to assist me, I THANK YOU! thanks for you help and concern! Blessings.

Ask a Question