flashing folder icon and open firmware page...

Reaction score
Ric

You are a STAR!! I await your instructions via PM on where to download the file.

Thank you thank you thank you ... and fingers crossed!!

Lucy

P.S. Shall I write it in 'bootable DVD' option, have not yet found a 'bootable cd' function, but then hubby has many version of NERO so I'm still looking!

P.P.S. Have now found 'bootable cd' option in Nero-Express..!

Ric

Reaction score
Whilst, can you try...

boot back into open firmware an type this exactly !

Code:
setenv boot-device mac-io/ata-4@lf000/@0:2,\System\Library\CoreServices\BootX

press return

and then

Code:
mac-boot

and return

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
lucy said:
Ric

You are a STAR!! I await your instructions via PM on where to download the file.

Thank you thank you thank you ... and fingers crossed!!

Lucy

P.S. Shall I write it in 'bootable DVD' option, have not yet found a 'bootable cd' function, but then hubby has many version of NERO so I'm still looking!

P.P.S. Have now found 'bootable cd' option in Nero-Express..!

The upload is taking a while...I may cancel it...it would be better for me to "write the CD in Nero at this end and then upload that...this would then make it easier for you to burn.

Slight problem...for some reason I have took the drive out of my PC laptop...and can't currently find it ???

It's not at the location where I am now !

As soon as I get chance I will find the drive and try and do the Nero copy...

If you get chance at the Open Firmware post please post any results....

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya

Tried the code as suggested and it went straight into falshing ? folder, allbeit slightly faster flash than normal.

Have since retried the same script but with boot9 command and it went to a floder icon, only flashed once and then stayed as a folder for a few minutes. After that it went to a white page with 'invalid memory access' written at top (much like open firmware page but without all the header text).

Incidentally, I had already tried a similar 'setenv boot-device hd:,\\:tbxi' (code given when ask printenv boot-device), and it look me to a corrupt grey apple page...

Lucy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

Now it's back at the flashing ? what happens if you insert the OS X CD ?

Does it recognise it and start booting ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Was back at the flashing but no recognition of CD.... :-(

Will keep trying until I find the winning sequence!

Ric

Reaction score
I wish I had access to the Mac...it would be so much easier ;-)

I take it you have just the one Mac ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya

Yes, I have just the one mac here and the PC, but they are not networked.

Thank you for the link to Apple support, I had already found that page and unfortunately came a cropper on the first step 'reboot your mac from CD by pressing the 'C' key'. arrrgggghhhh!!! (and breatheee!)

Oh if only it would launch from CD then all my troubles would be solved...!

Ric

Reaction score
...yes !

;-)

Just to recap...

Booting into Open Firmware and doing...

reset-NVRAM
press return
set-defaults
press return
reset-all
press return

Resets your Mac's Firmware back to factory defaults, so even if anything is typed incorrectly this resets it !

The Flashing ? means that it can't find a 'blessed' System Folder...

When you are trying to reboot with either the OS 9 or the OS X Cd in the drive (this may sound daft !) but you are 'keeping the c key held down' and not just pressing it once ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Trust me, in this situation there is no such thing as a daft question!!

Yes, if i type that 3 line script you say, let it reboot and hold down the 'c' key until it is booting then it just goes to a blank grey screen.

If I do the same as above but with the 'apple, shift, command, delete' key sequence held down then it goes to the flashing ? folder icon.

Likewise if I type the big long string script with either /bootX or /boot9 at the end it also goes to the same flashing ? folder icon, and eventually back to open firware page if I leave it long enough.

My next cunning plan is to try typing /boot9.2 just incase that is any more successful... which it wasn't. It has gone to a folder icon that was flashing but has now stopped. Is this better than a flashing ? or not, I don't know!

Ric

Reaction score
When this is happening are you "hearing" it try to access the CD drive ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
It does sound as though it is trying to access the CD drive, but only weakly. It's not a full gusto CD-whiz sound, more of a slightly raised and stepped up tone.

Reaction score
So i left it flashing on the ? icon, and it has now gone to a new open firmware page with message at the top saying

Decrementer exception at %SRR0 00000000 %SRR1 00083030

Not had this before, don't know if it means anythign to you..?

many thanks

Lucy

Ric

Reaction score

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have destroyed a Mac's boot loader to try and simulate what's happening...

It goes to the grey screen and stays like that for 10 -15 mins...

...if I reboot holding down command + s to boot into single user mode, it does this everytime ?

And then I can run FSCK and this will allow me to then boot properly !

Anyhoo !

I am in the process of uploading the 9.2.2 disk...

It's going to take a while ! Currently 173 MB of 415Mb complete, according to Fetch there is another 2 hours and 17 mins...

I'll email you the link later !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Good morning!

Thank you so very much for uploading the software for me, I am just downloading it now. Says will only take 30 mins so nice fast connection here!

I do appreciate the effort you are going to in order to help me, you are very kind. Sorry if I didn't get back to you last night...

What is the fsck (?) you tried that worked on your mac. Is that something I should try, as don't know wht that is...

Once I have downloaded the software and written it to bootable disc I will let you know whether it will launch or not. Fingers crossed. If I install it over my old system software will it delete all my old files? They are backed up so no problem if so, but just much easier if I can get away with it!

Many thanks again

Lucy

Reaction score
Bad news : unfortauntely we can't boot from the new OS 9.2.2 disc we have made. 'c' key does nothing, 'alt,shift,apple,delete' takes it to flashing ? folder, and 'alt' key dosen't display it at all, only the OSX hard drive, and this won't load either.

Have read up on the FSCK but when I try and reboot in single user mode (apple+s) I get the script which I think is normal, coupled with a kernel panic so I cannot type anything, it locks up.

Am doing some reading now on the suggestions you made for opening the box solutions, so watch this space... I'm going in...!!

Reaction score
HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!

What have I done???? I followed the instructions as per Apple website and removed the battery, reset the PMU button on the logic board, waited over 10 seconds, put the battery back in, plugged it all back together again, and now it won't boot at all.

I press the power button on the front of the tower and the light shines as normal but then goes out. No gong, no attempt at start-up nothing....

Ask a Question