flashing folder icon and open firmware page...

Reaction score
Seeing as we have already established I'm a bit of a dunce with these things (!) is it worth mentioning that I have a new memory module just arrived for hubby's PC that we haven't fitted yet... will that work, or just send you into disbelieving fits of giggles that I even suggested it...? (will try anything, even sacrificing myself to the ridicule of the forum!)

Ric

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity can you try and boot with OS 9 CD and if that fails the OS X cd again...

If OS doesn't like the RAM we're a bit stuck because we have to leave one 'stick' in...and that's all that's there!!!

Going off to have a think in a bit...

If you have no one locally that can 'lend' you an OS 9.2.2 boot cd the only option left is for me to post one...

Let me know what you want to do, I will gladly post later today.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
lucy said:
Seeing as we have already established I'm a bit of a dunce with these things (!) is it worth mentioning that I have a new memory module just arrived for hubby's PC that we haven't fitted yet... will that work, or just send you into disbelieving fits of giggles that I even suggested it...?

Hi there,

It has to be the same 'spec RAM' the chances are it isn't the same...knowing our luck so far !

What does it say on the box ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
If I have the correct spec for your Mac...then these are Physically to big...

Yours takes 168 pin chips PC100...

sorry

Ric

Reaction score
heyho, it was worth a try!

I'll keep trying to get a CD to launch, keeping you posted and await any further suggestions...!

(REALLY do appreciate all your suuport, both technically and personally, this is absolutely draining for me and you've been a star!)

Lucy

Ric

Reaction score
How confident are you that the CD that was written on the PC is definitely a Mac CD...did Nero see that it was a Mac HFS disk image and write it accordingly...?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
The file that you downloaded had the extension .cdr

Try changing that to .iso

And then open that in Nero and burn it that may work better, unless that's what you did ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya

I could only write 'bootable DVD', the 'bootable CD' option errored. There was no description as to HFS or specific Mac format.

I wrote it with the .cdr file name as suplied, but can change it and retry. I have various different NEROs to try it with...

Will keep you posted!

Ric

Reaction score
Okay..change the extension to .iso then burn in Nero.

I will try and find a page that shows you how later tonight, but by all means try in the meantime.

Ignore the bootable bit...the disk image itself should have that info, and clicking it in Nero will just be for a "PC" bootable disk.

Try the .iso bit then open it up in the 'newest version of Nero that you have...and hopefully it should just recognize it and then burn !!!

It must be a CD...the first one you've done will be no good ;-(

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric

Well I don't know what I did differently, but it's fixed!
Hoorah!
Yippee!
Woohoo!
....phew!

I don't know if it was anything to do with having reset the PMU and logic board etc, but I held the 'alt' key at chime as normal, and the OSX disc appeared, as it had before. I clicked on it, and it moved forward to a next page, which hadn't happened before. In the absense of anything else to try, I let it progress, and agreed to install OSX. Well, it couldn't make it any worse....!

I had an inkling that if I could get OSX up and running then I would be able to reselect the old 9.2 start-up disc, restart and go back to my old and comfy ways. Was a bit of a risk, but it worked on the second attempt (hung on one of the instal windows first time round). OSX installed, had a bit of a play in there to see what it was like (lookey lookey nice!) and then went back to OS9.2 start-up disc, held my breath, crossed my fingers and it worked!

So maybe unorthodox, maybe a fluke but I'm back where I wanted to be, 48 hours later and after an ENORMOUS amount of help and support from you.

I do need ot put some consideration to the best way to upgrade to OSX properly (presume ignore that corrupt portion of the start-up disc, and overwrite existing 9.2 OS with new OSX? but will come back and ask you first!!), which I plan to do in the next few weeks having bought all the new application software etc, but for now I'm going to write a shopping list including new RAM, extra memory and a 9.2.2 install disc!

Seriously, thank you so very much indeed for all your help Ric, you truly have been a real star. If there is some rating system to this forum please let me know and I'll gladly say my piece! You really have helped me immensely, and protected my sanity which is just as important I think!

Very very best wishes
Lucy
(x...!)

Ric

Reaction score
Well done !

Glad it's back up and running.

As I said earlier, thats what we're here for !

At some point over the weekend I shall post a few bits for you, that you could do for us that would help us in the future...just a couple of screengrabs that you could do for us, then if there are any problems in the future...it will help us.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Yes certainly, no problem at all. Would be pelased to help document the problem so that it may help someone else another time.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

Not quite what I meant...but hopefully the previous post's will do that ;-)

What I meant was...when you get chance on your Mac will be an Application called System Profiler...run that and you will get a screen similar to this...then print that out...then if anything goes wrong again you/we have the information we need.

lucy0001.jpg

lucy0002.jpg

lucy0003.jpg

regards

Ric

Ask a Question