flashing folder icon and open firmware page...

Reaction score
okay, so have 'slept on it', thought I had a cunning plan, but still can't get past that flashing folder icon. Anyone any other suggestions... please?

Ric

Reaction score
Good morning...

Lets try back with the open firmware again...

Reboot into Open Firmware then at the prompt type

reset-nvram

press return

set-defaults

press return

reset-all

press return

mac-boot

press return

Then let it try and boot vis the drive...if not stick in the OS 9 CD and try it...if not stick in the 10.2.1 cd and try it...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
tried the open firmware text and it reboot to flashing ? folder.

Tried booting from CD and again just goes straight to flashing ? folder.

Managed to get it to see the OSX instal disc earlier this mroning, and started to go through 'how to instal' window, but was taking soooooooo long (over an hour to get past second window) that I presumed it was stuck in a loop and rebooted to start again.

When it is stuck on any window for too long it automatically takes itself back to the Open Firmware page.

Ric

Reaction score
The flashing ? folder is okay...at least you're not getting Kernel Panics any more !

...So this morning you have started to Install OS X ?

That sort of messes things up a bit ;-(

Did you get to window that had any mention of OS 9 Drivers ?

Depending on how happy you are opening up the case...if it was me I would turn the power off...open the case carefully unplug the Ribbon cable from the back of the Hard Drive...now reboot...put in the OS 9 cd to see if it will boot...

If it does we'll have to try something else...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Am glad the falshing ? is nothing too fatal (what is a kernel panic?)

I did not start installing OSX this morning, jsut managed to kinda get the disc to launch. Didn't get anywhere near installing it before it stopped.....!

Am not sure about opening the tower - bit scared of making it worse!!

Ric

Reaction score
Okay, don't open it, better safe than sorry !

Kernel Panics are something that you get in OS X... That's why it's strange !

This make me think that OS X must be 'part' installed...OS 9 cannot get Kernel Panics !

Do you know if OS X was installed when you bought the Mac ?

If it was then try restarting holding down the x key...

This forces a boot into OS X

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
On the computer you're on at the minute (PC)...does it have a CD Burner ? Do you have Nero or something similar that allows you to burn Mac CD's (HFS)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I am not sure if the machine already has OSX on it or not (that was my aim in the initial curiosity exercise, to see if it worked.. am thinking not!)

Tried rebooting holding X key and took me to the 'You need to restart your computer' panel. Reboot and it just takes you back to the same panel again and again...

(Still not sure what a kernel pani is so don't think I've had one!)

Lucy

Reaction score
Yes this computer I am on now can burn CDs but it is my husbands PC and I'm not sure what software it has on it (sorry to be so useless). I just copy files to the CD/DVD drive and click write to disc.... it does have DVD writing software on it, so presume I can write a MAC disc somehow?

Reaction score
So I have just done a search on kernel panic to see what one is and found a picture of this panel (attached hopefully you can see it?), which I keep gtting, so presume that if this is a KP, then I have indeed had one (many). Following the trail of logic that then must mean that OSX is installed...

Attachments

• kernelpanic102.jpg
    kernelpanic102.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Latest update on trying to launch from CD is text across top of screen reading

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, ASC = ox44, ASCQ = 0xd5

Not sure if this means anythign to you...?

Lucy

Ric

Reaction score
lucy said:
Yes this computer I am on now can burn CDs but it is my husbands PC and I'm not sure what software it has on it (sorry to be so useless). I just copy files to the CD/DVD drive and click write to disc.... it does have DVD writing software on it, so presume I can write a MAC disc somehow?

Okay..if need be I will make a OS 9.2.2 Disk for you...if all else fails !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
lucy said:
So I have just done a search on kernel panic to see what one is and found a picture of this panel (attached hopefully you can see it?), which I keep gtting, so presume that if this is a KP, then I have indeed had one (many). Following the trail of logic that then must mean that OSX is installed...

There is a few bits on here about Kernel Panics...I just glossed over it a bit as it's not something to bore you with now ;-)

If OS X is installed...can you try and reboot with the Shift key held down...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya!

Thanks for the sugegstion, tried rebooting holding shift key but goes back to Kernel Panic.

In fact, tried "reset-nvram, reset all" etc in open firmware, that rebooted to kernel panic and also zapped P-RAM and that rebooted to KP too....

Will try and a) get back to flashing ? folder and
b) see if I can find OS9.2.2 anywhere on internet to try and make bootable CD

Beginning to get a bit worried about all this now...

Ric

Reaction score
Unfortunatley...if the machine was 'here' I would just out in TechTools CD..DataRescue CD... and boot it !

Do you have anything physically plugged into the Mac apart from the Keyboard Mouse and Monitor ?

Are there any extra cards in the Mac SCsi or otherwise ?

It isn't anything serious...it's just got it's knickers in a twist !

The other things I would do, involve opening the case ! and resetting the PMU...

I will gladly do the CD (415MB compressed) but it's no use, unless the PC can burn from a Mac HFS .cdr Image, maybe your Husband will know ?

Try and do a "Safe Boot"

Be sure the computer is shut down.

Press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.

Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...also try restarting holding down Command + S this will boot into single user mode...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Rebooting in Safe Mode takes it to kernel panic

Rebooting in 'safe mode' brings up a translucent balck screen of scriptin final words being "panic : we are hanging here" and I can see the kp window behind.

I have managed to find out how to burn a bootable DVD on my husbands PC, and have downloaded OS9.2 from Apple website, but as yet cannot get the machine to boot from it or see it...

I have got an external hard drive, printer and scanner plugged in but non oe them are turned on ...oops maybe I shoudl try unplugging those... will do that now and have another try with latest suggestions....

Ric

Reaction score
..yes unplug them all, please.

Are you sure that the OS 9.2 from Apple is the full bootable version ?

Have you the link ? I would expect it to only be the 'Update' around 40-50MB..

Let me know if Single User Mode works...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya

Single User mode takes it to kernel panic too...

I have now unplugged evrything, and the bootbable DVD i made didn't work. The file was only 28Mb so is obviously just the update. Do you know where I can download the full version from please (I have an FTP site where it can be uploaded to, if that helps?)

Am really pleased by your reassurance that she's just 'got her knickers in a twist'. Was beginning to get panicky.... getting very concerned now.

Alternatively, can you suggest where I can buy the repair disc you said you would use, perhaps I could buy that and try it...?

Ric

Reaction score
As you have a legal copy of OS 9 and the updates from Apple to 9.2 are free..I don't see any problem in letting you have a copy...

It is uploading to my server, as we speak.

It has been made from a "Power Mac G4 Mac OS 9 Install" CD (It has version 9.2.2 on it).

I have compressed it as a .zip it is 450MB and will uncompress to 650MB

Once it has uploaded I will PM the link, please let me know via the Forum when you have downloaded it, as I will remove it. It may be an hour or so...

When it unzips it will have the extension .cdr

What's annoying is, is that the 10.2.1 CD should boot

regards

Ric

Ask a Question