Can't install licensed Office 2011 on a Macintosh computer

Reaction score
I have Microsoft Office 2011 that I purchased years ago. I still have the installer file and the product key for it. I am currently migrating to a different computer with the same operating system 10.12.6. I installed the Office 2011 on the new computer and opened one of the programs. It requires me to register. I put in the product key and submit. It says “Server is not available.” I have tried this several times. I also called the phone number given, gave the long code and received a new code. The new code does not work. I also tried this several times.
I did search for answers on the internet. I found the trick of replacing files in the LaunchDaemons, PrivilegedHelperTools, and Preferences folders. No success.
Any more ideas? Please help!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, Support has ended for Office for Mac 2011 per Microsoft's website. It won't register properly, because Microsoft has probably removed it from their registration/authorization servers.

I don't recommend messing with the LaunchDaemons and Privileged Helper Tools folders, as you can cause system instability or even prevent you Mac from operating normally.

Is there a specific reason you didn't use the Migration Assistant to move your applications and files to the new Mac from the old?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately, Support has ended for Office for Mac 2011 per Microsoft's website. It won't register properly, because Microsoft has probably removed it from their registration/authorization servers.

I don't recommend messing with the LaunchDaemons and Privileged Helper Tools folders, as you can cause system instability or even prevent you Mac from operating normally.

Is there a specific reason you didn't use the Migration Assistant to move your applications and files to the new Mac from the old?

C
I wanted to do a fresh install of the Operating System and Applications in order to have the computer run as well as possible.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, that's what I assumed. ;) That is what I normally do as well.

I wonder if you could simply copy the entire Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder and any Microsoft folders in your Documents folder to the new Mac. That used to work and carry the registration info in older versions of Office.

C

Reaction score
OK, that's what I assumed. ;) That is what I normally do as well.

I wonder if you could simply copy the entire Applications > Microsoft Office 2011 folder and any Microsoft folders in your Documents folder to the new Mac. That used to work and carry the registration info in older versions of Office.

C
No, I already tried that. Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hmmm...

I will look for other possible solutions. Let us know if you find any.

C

Ask a Question